Refurbishing Jeffries bellows.

Sorry, so many new questions by me.

Was the original gold tooling on Jeffries bellows actual gold leaf? I would like to carefully touch in some of the most worn areas of these bellows.

6858144103_cc205ab35b.jpg

If so, then I should be able to size small lines and rub in new leaf, I'm pretty good with picture frames.

Please note, this isn't "should I or shouldn't I?" that's a whole different topic. <_<

Thanks

Andrew

If Gold leaf was what book binders used then this would be what the bellows makers would have used surely. Perhaps the real point for you is that if using Gold Leaf will do the job for you and you know what it will cost then just go ahead.

If Gold leaf was what book binders used then this would be what the bellows makers would have used surely. Perhaps the real point for you is that if using Gold Leaf will do the job for you and you know what it will cost then just go ahead.

Geoff, bookbinders of that era would certainly have used gold leaf. What about modern concertina makers? How is the gold tooling done? I'm sure the cost isn't huge.

Geoff, bookbinders of that era would certainly have used gold leaf. What about modern concertina makers? How is the gold tooling done? I'm sure the cost isn't huge.

The indent patern was pressed in, perhaps with a hot Iron tool and then the gold leaf is applied. Best to research on a book binding site or ask Colin and Rosalie Dipper who do still do this I think.