Why no valves on the highest notes?

I've noticed that often there are no valves on the 2 highest notes in a Lachenal English. Isn't the requirement to block the non-sounding reed still there? I can see that there is little air to move the valve but why not use extremely small and light ones?

Andrew

I've noticed that often there are no valves on the 2 highest notes in a Lachenal English. Isn't the requirement to block the non-sounding reed still there? I can see that there is little air to move the valve but why not use extremely small and light ones?

Andrew

The simple practical answer is that the smallest reeds work best without valves, something you can easily verify by fitting valves where the makers did not. The result is usually less volume, flattening of the pitch, and a greater tendency to choke when played suddenly.

Andrew

The simple practical answer is that the smallest reeds work best without valves, something you can easily verify by fitting valves where the makers did not. The result is usually less volume, flattening of the pitch, and a greater tendency to choke when played suddenly.

That's interesting Theo. I've never tried putting valves where they weren't originally but might do it, just out of curiosity.

Thanks

Andrew

That's interesting Theo. I've never tried putting valves where they weren't originally but might do it, just out of curiosity.

Thanks

Andrew

I have occasionally done the opposite - i.e. removed the valves from small reeds where they were previously installed. In cases where the reed just isn't loud enough, it can make all the difference. Obviously, it also alters the pitch slightly, so you have to correct it.

• 5 months later...

I just opened up my new to me Lachenal Excelsior EC and said to myself: 'Huh! There are missing valves'.

Coincidentally, Lea Nicholson posted some pictures of a later Excelsior (I date mine to about 1875 and his is about the turn of the century) and, lo, that one is also missing valves - and the same valves!

Here is the picture: Lea's Excelsior

The 'missing' valves (three of them) are in the top part of the picture.

Reading this thread and observing the similarities, I am going to assume that the valves are not actually missing after all. Perhaps an expert could confirm?

Also, two more of my valves do not completely cover their holes, they leave a small gap (I will take and post some pics if I can). Again, these are the higher notes so perhaps this was deliberate too?

Finally, Lea's Excelsior has two pins (valve springs?) over the flaps of the lower notes, mine only has a single pin/valve spring and some are missing or bent or corroded. I presume that I should try to fix these obvious problems, but any thoughts on the use of a single pin/valve spring vs. two? Also, what is recommended for replacing these pins?

I have not been brave enough to pull the reed pans out yet, but I will do so over the next day or so and post some pictures - and probably more questions.

Don.

Coincidentally, Lea Nicholson posted some pictures of a later Excelsior (I date mine to about 1875 and his is about the turn of the century) and, lo, that one is also missing valves - and the same valves!

Here is the picture: Lea's Excelsior

Gorgeous photos! Some of the best I've seen. Compliments to the photographer.

Mike

Valves are not needed to block the reeds that are not sounding, they are used to make the instrument more efficient in air use to minimize bellow movement, as well as maximize that enough air is getting to the reeds that are sounding. Many instruments leave off valves on a few notes because it helps the notes sound and doesn't interfere with playability on the lower notes. Many miniature concertinas have no valves, because they don't have air buttons.

Valves are not needed to block the reeds that are not sounding, they are used to make the instrument more efficient in air use to minimize bellow movement, as well as maximize that enough air is getting to the reeds that are sounding. Many instruments leave off valves on a few notes because it helps the notes sound and doesn't interfere with playability on the lower notes. Many miniature concertinas have no valves, because they don't have air buttons.

David,

You are only partially right in this statement. Yes the valve maximises air efficiency and speeds up response; whilst adding to reed performance; but also on bigger reeds the airflow across an unguarded reed from the wrong side can result in a beating between the two reeds, particularly on systems when the same note is played both bellows directions on the same button.

Dave