For Sale: 60b MacCann Duet

Craig Wagner

Note: posting recently updated with more pics...

Greetings. I am selling a 60b MacCann duet (32 treble + 28 bass). The instrument was fully refurbished in 2006 by the button box (new bellows, pads, valves) and I haven't played it since then. To accommodate the large number of buttons the concertina is a bit bigger than a standard box, measuring 7 inches across the end. The steel reeds give a nice sweet tone. Normal wear for a vintage instrument. The straps are original C. Wheatstone & Co. I've looked inside the concertina but there are no markings to indicate Wheatstone or otherwise.

I'm selling this because I've never invested the time to learn the MacCann system. I gravitated toward the Jeffries Duet system and didn't want to get my brain wrapped around another duet button scheme. It has been sitting in it's box unplayed in my living room for the last six years since the refurbishment and I wanted to get it out to someone who would play it.

For a button layout, see page 23 here. This 60 button concertina is exactly like that layout of the 62 button on this page except does not have the G#2 and the G2 shown in the dashed circles above the first two columns of buttons on the treble side.

For a couple of more pics look here and here.

Please see pics attached and let me know if you have any questions. I'm asking $2500 for the box.

Thanks,

Craig

post-320-0-77177900-1337119998_thumb.jpg

post-320-0-60458000-1337120018_thumb.jpg

post-320-0-85343400-1337622401_thumb.jpg

post-320-0-59096200-1337622417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig Wagner

Please, what are the left and right hand ranges?

Thanks,

ocd

ocd,

I updated the original posting with a page reference to a pdf on the site with the exact layout. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Craig

• 5 weeks later...

It's got the rivetted action in there; but look at those parallel chambers, and the notes in the middle of the reedpan in dovetail slots with a 'lead in'. (Does that imply at least partially hand cut?)

What an interesting, and indeed handsome, beast. Good luck finding a home for it; it's a useful size.

It's got the rivetted action in there; but look at those parallel chambers, and the notes in the middle of the reedpan in dovetail slots with a 'lead in'.

C'mon you experts.

Look at the fretwork. Does it suggest a particular maker? It looks familiar to me, but I've never gotten around to studying the different patterns of the different makers. A big surprise (to me), though, is that there's not only no identifying label, but there seems to be no space in the fretwork where one might once have been.

Look at the reeds (they don't seem to be tapered).

The layout of the chambers makes me think Jeffries, but the lack of any stamp or label adds doubts.

Informed opinions (better informed than my own) are needed.

The delicate ends, the chambers etc have a strong resemblance to a recently listed (and sold) Anglo on Ebay that was subject to discussion elsewhere on Concertina net (sorry, couldn't find link). This too was un marked with Jeffries proposed as a possibility.

Ebay link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-concertina-Needing-restoration-/110867554655?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item19d038a15f

Your similar Duet looks a very nice box.

The delicate ends, the chambers etc have a strong resemblance to a recently listed (and sold) Anglo on Ebay that was subject to discussion elsewhere on Concertina net (sorry, couldn't find link). This too was un marked with Jeffries proposed as a possibility.

Ebay link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-concertina-Needing-restoration-/110867554655?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item19d038a15f

Your similar Duet looks a very nice box.

That crossed my mind too.

I have seen a Jeffries Maccan; they exist.

the ebay one has the same method of fitting the floating reeds in the middle too.

Edited by Dirge

Some interesting clues(?):

Reed clamp screws are more like Jones than Jeffries.

Lever arms are of square stock unlike Jeffries or Jones.

Fretwork reminds me of a 60b MacCann offered by Hobgoblin a year or two ago and identified as Shakespeare.

I'm going to take back what I said about the cutting of the fretwork: ("Execution of the graceful fretwork, especially the delicate points and curves are reminiscent of Crabb end work.") Upon more careful examination (especially the cut outs) I would not attribute it to Jeffries or Crabb.

Hand bars seem to be fitted to a metal base unlike anything I've seen. (Beneath the strap plate by the thumb placement)

The hand bars have a cut out which can be found on some Lachenals.

Perhaps Craig can give us a picture of the action levers and pivots.

The game is afoot!

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

The ebay anglo is very similar (almost identical) to my Bb/F anglo which has been attributed to Shakespeare (albeit with no identifying marks) and the flat top reed screws are identical to my anglo. I recall that Craig's duet was attributed to Shakespeare when it was on ebay back in 2006 but it's awfully difficult to be sure without the makers stamp!

Alex West

Now that's what I like to see, some community sleuthing here!

I'll get some additional pics that may be of value. My guess is that the handles are not original to the instrument. Note that the top of the concertina has the thumb screws for tightening the strap (like a Jeffries), but the handles have the tightening screw for the strap on the bottom...

More ideas welcomed!

Thanks,

Craig

There's one significant difference between this concertina and my Bb/F anglo "Shakespeare". The action levers on mine are round brass (similar to but with a totally different to a Jeffries) but those on the duet here seem to be flat metal like a Wheatstone action - can't tell whether they're brass or steel though.

Alex West

There's one significant difference between this concertina and my Bb/F anglo "Shakespeare". The action levers on mine are round brass (similar to but with a totally different to a Jeffries) but those on the duet here seem to be flat metal like a Wheatstone action - can't tell whether they're brass or steel though.

Alex West

I've updated the orginal post with links to two more pictures (reeds on the 2nd side and one picture of the action)... Any further ideas on what we have here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Craig