For Sale: 55B Crane Triumph Duet

Craig Wagner

Lachenal “Triumph” Duet concertina. Completely refurbished in mechanics, cosmetics and tuning in October, 2006 by the Button Box, and hasn't been played since. A somewhat rare larger version with 55 keys (30 in right and 25 on left) plus air button. Gorgeous raised wooden ends, 7 fold-bellows, steel reeds. Instrument # 3889 is clearly marked on a metal plate on the left side of the concertina. In looking for concertina dating information, a rough cut estimation yields 1921 as the manufacturing date. The same number is stamped on the reed pans. There are minor scratches and scuffs as would be expected from of an instrument of this age, but it is in amazingly quite good cosmetic shape. The bellows are air tight.

When I buy concertinas, I always look for mellow and rich tones – and that is why I got this one. I also really like the feel of the buttons on this instrument – smooth and solid. A wonderful instrument for solo play and for ensembles – it won’t blow-out the other players in your group. In excellent shape, ready to play. In perfect tune, A=440.

It is a Crane tuning system can was adopted by the Salvation Army under the name “Triumph” from 1912, and eventually Wheatstone was claiming it was because of “the disposition of the keys being more suited to the playing of sacred music”. For background on Triumph duets, see http://www.concertina.com/crane-duet/. For the button layout, look at the “55 stud” diagram in here. It has been outside of it's box about 5 times since I had it refurbished. Price is $3150 plus insurance and shipping. If sold through Concertina Net, I’ll make a donation to Paul for his great work on our collective behalf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Craig Wagner

post-320-0-15457700-1334082569_thumb.jpg

post-320-0-26105500-1334082599_thumb.jpg

post-320-0-47444300-1337622120_thumb.jpg

post-320-0-72707600-1337622135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig Wagner

I have one of these - excellent instrument

Before you sell it, please have a look at this thread:- http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13756 and let us know if your instrument has a second 'C&S' serial number stamped into the bar of one hand strap. We are trying to work out the relationship between the Lachenal and C&S number series, if there is one.

Thanks

Andrew

I have one of these - excellent instrument

Before you sell it, please have a look at this thread:- http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13756 and let us know if your instrument has a second 'C&S' serial number stamped into the bar of one hand strap. We are trying to work out the relationship between the Lachenal and C&S number series, if there is one.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

I've looked and there is no C&S number stamped into the bar on either strap. The bars have worn, and at one point repainted. I can't say for certain if they are the original bars, but I suspect they are since they seem to be fairly well fitted to the raised wooden ends and I can't see the point of ever replacing them. The serial number #3889 on the metal insert on the outside, is also stamped onto reed pan and the bellows frame. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Craig

The C&S stamp on other instruments suggest that they have been supplied via Cranes.

As the label on the instrument in question is inscribed 'The Triumph' I would say that it was supplied by Lachenal as a result of a direct order placed by the Salvation Army Supplies Division circa 1920.

Geoffrey

I'm sure you're right, Geoffrey, but it was worth asking the question.

We all assume the 'C&S' stands for 'Crane & Sons', and the absence of a 'C&S' number on a Triumph-labelled box supports that assumption.

Maybe one day we'll know for certain.

Andrew