The George session in London

I'll be there. Anybody else?

What's a reasonable time to show up? How late does it go? Should I eat first or do people eat during it?

20.00 hrs or just a bit before.

Do not recognise that word 'eat'..............unless you are talking about liquid food.

They do food but not cheap and have not seen anyone from the indigent players ever consuming there....except for a bag of crisps (potato chips - not chip potatoes! The ones in a bag full of air... which work out as dear as fresh salmon weight for weight.

Check with the regulars before buying your drink. a pint of lemonade can cost an amazing four quid. There are know approaches for ordering mixers for the drinks, such as: I'm told a pint of straight fizzy water from the dispenser is free, but half a lemondade and half a beer mixed (shandy) costs as much as a pint of beer (3.40+).

Menu - notice the main courses do not include spuds and chips etc which are extra as "SIDES"

http://www.traditionalpubslondon.co.uk/georgesouthwark/George_Inn_Menu.pdf

If you want to be adventurous you could eat earlier in Brick Lane (Whitechapel Rd/Aldgate end of Brick Lane where range of prices in dozeons of Indian/Sylheti restaurants and walk off the two miles to L Bridge.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=brick+lane+to+London+Bridge&mkt=en-GB&FORM=BYFD#Y3A9NTEuNTEzODYyNTQ1OTM0MTJ+LTAuMDc5MjMzOTk5OTk5OTk0NyZsdmw9MTMmc3R5PXImcnRwPXBvcy41MS41MjI5OTBfLTAuMDcxNTM4X0JyaWNrJTIwTGFuZSUyQyUyMExvbmRvbiUyMEUyJTIwNl9fX2VffnBvcy41MS41MDQ3MzBfLTAuMDg2NjAwX0xvbmRvbiUyMEJyaWRnZSUyQyUyMFVuaXRlZCUyMEtpbmdkb21fX19lXyZtb2RlPUQmcnRvcD0wfjB+MH4=

Or go to China Town behind Piccadilly Circus/across from Leicester Square Tube -- in Wardour St (and nearby) there are two serve yourself for from 4.95 (Mr Wu across from Wong Kei)to 8 quid (?name?next to Wong Kei a head as much as you can eat,

We always hit the Wong Kei but remember: Cash only, no cards, no checks/cheques at the Wong Kei - no booking, eat well for a tenner a head for a starter and main course (my preference is Yau Nam Noodle soup (beef brisket in large large bowl),cold crispy pork duck on rice etc, no booking, no queueing and about 200 seats. Well known for its feisty waiters - been eating there for 30 years and their Yau Nam Noodle is unbeatable - was in last week)for quick meal.

Avoid (expensive) pizza and steak houses - they are often empty and slow, so draw yr own conclusions......

Now tell me all u just wanted was a pre-packed sandwich! :)

BLAne to T Bridge Transport for London

12 minutes

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&sessionID=TLJJP14P1_1123207816&requestID=1&tripSelector1=1&itdLPxx_view=detail&tripSelection=on&command=nop&calculateDistance=1

Leic Sq to L Bridgge 14 mins

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&sessionID=TLJJP14P1_1123380743&requestID=1&tripSelector1=1&itdLPxx_view=detail&tripSelection=on&command=nop&calculateDistance=1

Dave - What Pete said above, except that a pint of lemonade only costs 80p! Cheapest drink in the pub, except for free water. The George Inn session is a predominately French session, but other tunes, English and European, do get played. There is also another session on Sunday 1st, from noon until 3.30pm at a pub called The Horseshoe, in Mellior Street, near London Bridge, just round the corner from Guys and St Thomas's hospital. It is a mainly English session. However, if you are out rappering, on the sunday, I guess you won't be able to come to it. Hope to see you at the George Inn session on monday.

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Dave - except that a pint of lemonade only costs 80p! Cheapest drink in the pub, except for free water.

Chris

80p?!! You've been chatting up that serving wench again... I claim my free 80p pint if it is more than that...my recollected-calculation (caveat Alzheimer who drinks there too)came from the barman....

Otherwise I buy for you at 80p: so you can go home TT sober as you will not have had your usual H2HoHo with a twist of lemon :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by Kautilya

There is also another session on Sunday 1st, from noon until 3.30pm at a pub called The Horshoe, in Mellior Street, near London Bridge, just round the corner from Guys and St Thomas's hospital. It is a mainly English session. However, if you are out rappering, on the sunday, I guess you won't be able to come to it.

I'm not involved with the rapper stuff (I was the musician for a rapper side 15 - 20 years ago) and may well go to the Horseshoe if I am not too jet lagged and my wife doesn't have other plans for us.

Hope to see you at the George Inn session on monday.

Indeed.

Edited to add: Chris, I've found your picture in the "What we all look like - take 2" thread. There's one of me there, too. I have no clue what Pete looks like (I assume his avatar's no help).

Edited by David Barnert

There is also another session on Sunday 1st, from noon until 3.30pm at a pub called The Horshoe, in Mellior Street, near London Bridge, just round the corner from Guys and St Thomas's hospital. It is a mainly English session. However, if you are out rappering, on the sunday, I guess you won't be able to come to it.

I'm not involved with the rapper stuff (I was the musician for a rapper side 15 - 20 years ago) and may well go to the Horseshoe if I am not too jet lagged and my wife doesn't have other plans for us.

Looks like I'll probably be there, but late.

Saw a report on Facebook that the George session went off well and a good time was had by all. Our own session (co-incidentally held in a pub called the George and at the same time, though in Bradford on Avon) was very good too. Hopefully, David, we can arrange someday to be in the same George at the same time!

Chris

I'm not on facebook, but I was at both sessions mentioned above and had a great time. At the George, somebody had brought a cello, and when it came out that I could play one, he let me at it for a few tunes.

I don't know when my next trip to England will be, but I'm bringing my concertina.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been meaning to write up a report on how the trip went, but although I've been back home for a week and a half, this is the first chance I've had to get down to it.

Julie and I spent the week of March 30 to April 7 in England and had a great time. While most of our activities involved theatre and museums, I took part in three music sessions: Sunday afternoon at The Horseshoe Inn in London, Monday evening at The George Inn in London, and Tuesday evening at Roger Digby's house near Colchester. In response to my starting this thread, he sent me a very kind invitation to spend the night and said he would ask a few friends over to play.

I had a chance to meet four concertina.net members whom I only knew online until then: Roger, Chris Drinkwater, Kautilya, and Alan Day (who was able to come to Roger's house). Also (at The Horseshoe), I met two familiar names from the Morris Dance Discussion List (Sarah Crofts and Doug Adams).

Although many of the tunes played in the 3 locations were unfamiliar to me, I had little trouble picking them up, and I had a chance to introduce some American tunes into the mix. At the George, someone had brought a cello and insisted I play on it for a few tunes, which was also a lot of fun.

I want to thank everyone who helped get me pointed in the right direction. It was a grand time.

Edited for typo.

Edited by David Barnert

Kautilya has posted audio-only recordings of the two London Sessions I attended on youtube:

The Horseshoe Inn, Sunday, 1 April 2012, 12:00

The George Inn, Monday, 2 April 2012, 20:00

I have been asked to provide tune titles for my contributions to the sessions. Here's what I've come up with. Let me know if I may have missed one or two (together they are more than five and a half hours, and my mind may have wandered listening to them).

The Horseshoe Inn:

01:05:27 Round the Horn by Jay Ungar (American, New York State)

01:38:34 Tip Top Polka

01:54:50 Planxty Fanny Power and Planxty Irwin by T. O'Carolan

02:18:06 Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar

The George Inn:

00:15:00 (on cello) Le Canal en Octobre by Frederic Paris

00:55:00 Caepantywyll by Brian Peters

01:18:50 (beginning unclear) La Luna Dins L'aiga, by Pierre-Marie Blajà (southern France). I learned it here on concertina.net

01:27:57 Evit Gabriel by Daniel Thonon (of Ad Vielle Que Pourra)

01:31:37 Glise de Sherbrooke (trad, French Canadian)

01:42:46 Kommen Til Meij Om Kvelden or Sugar is Sweet (trad, Swedish)

02:01:02 Bodawalzen, or Boda Waltz (trad, Swedish)

02:22:51 Da Slockit Light by Tom Anderson (Shetland)

Kautilya has posted audio-only recordings of the two London Sessions I attended on youtube:

I have been asked to provide tune titles for my contributions to the sessions. Here's what I've come up with. Let me know if I may have missed one or two (together they are more than five and a half hours, and my mind may have wandered listening to them).

The Horseshoe Inn:

01:05:27 Round the Horn by Jay Ungar (American, New York State)

01:38:34 Tip Top Polka

01:54:50 Planxty Fanny Power and Planxty Irwin by T. O'Carolan

02:18:06 Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar

The George Inn:

00:15:00 (on cello) Le Canal en Octobre by Frederic Paris

00:55:00 Caepantywyll by Brian Peters

01:18:50 (beginning unclear) La Luna Dins L'aiga, by Pierre-Marie Blajà (southern France). I learned it here on concertina.net

01:27:57 Evit Gabriel by Daniel Thonon (of Ad Vielle Que Pourra)

01:31:37 Glise de Sherbrooke (trad, French Canadian)

01:42:46 Kommen Til Meij Om Kvelden or Sugar is Sweet (trad, Swedish)

02:01:02 Bodawalzen, or Boda Waltz (trad, Swedish)

02:22:51 Da Slockit Light by Tom Anderson (Shetland)

Ta - most helpful for future practice!

Sorry for my late reply on this thread.

It was very nice to see and hear David at the session at Roger Digby's House.

We have corresponded for some years now and it was very nice to meet you David in person.

Great session ,we were made very welcome and I am now friends with Roger's dogs.

Al

We have corresponded for some years now and it was very nice to meet you David in person.

Great session ,we were made very welcome and I am now friends with Roger's dogs.

Al

What tune did you dose their meat with to get 'em to like you, or did David help you by practising his dayjob on them with howling laughing gas? Was it this one? :lol:

Al

What tune did you dose their meat with to get 'em to like you, or did David help you by practising his dayjob on them with howling laughing gas? Was it this one? :lol:

When we left for NZ my parents inherited our spaniel, Pickles, who looks very like this one. He howls when I play a morris tune called Iron Duke. There's only one possible explanation. Spaniels don't like folk music.

• 9 years later...
On 4/19/2012 at 11:07 AM, David Barnert said:

I tried to listen to these two youtubes today (after 9 1/2 years) only to find on both of them:

Video unavailable

This video is private

It’s many years since Kautilya passed away (about a year after the above), and the recordings were on his youtube account (they were freely available when he was alive). Anybody have any idea how one might access them now?

• 2 months later...

Hello !

I'm currently planning a little trip in London next week (1 to 5 march), and I was wondering if i could have opportunity to meet with other concertina players, play some music at session, etc...

Is there still a regular session at George Inn ? or are there other concertina-related events next week ?

Thanks, hopefully see some of you soon !

David (from Toulouse, France, some years ago a regular member here)