Wheatstone Baritone

Lee Sinclair

My Wheatstone baritone No.32556 and in the book as "September 23rd 1930 N.P. Baritone 48 keys K.V.W.S. varnish" is sitting in my display cabinet and hardly ever played. The bellows need some work but it does play and has that rich, beautiful tone you get from brass reeds. I took it into the Crabb shop in Liverpool Road way back, and I think it must have been Neville had a look at it and reckoned it had been made for a missionary! Not sure how he worked that out but I could imagine it playing deep throated chord accompaniment to hymns in some African missionary church. Anyway I would like to sell it but have no idea of value. I’m reluctant to put it on Ebay but it might come to that.

Also, does anyone know what the K.V.W.S. stands for? I know the N.P. stands for nickel plated.

. . . Also, does anyone know what the K.V.W.S. stands for?

So elsewhere in the forums, it's suggested that K.V.W.S. stands for "Key Valve & Wrist Strap". I know what wrist straps are, but what is a key valve? Is it a "bowing valve" / air relief button?

According to the Wheatstone ledgers, 32556, is a model 9A, which is a hexagonal 48 key rosewood-ended baritone English concertina. KV, or key valve, is an air button, usually found on the right-hand end in front of the thumb strap and WS, means wrist strap. A model 9A was the basic model in the baritone range, and originally, would have cost £14, when new in 1930. Baritone Englishes are less common than trebles and are often preferred to trebles when it comes to playing for song accompaniment. The current value of this instrument could be in the range £2500-£3000, if it is in need some refurbishment. The Music Room, Cleckheaton, had a similar one for sale last year and they were asking over £4000 for it, I seem to recall, which is more than Chris Algar of Barleycorn would be asking for one, I am sure. Hope this helps.

Chris

This Model 9A Baritone is exactly half the price of my risen ended Model 19 Tenor-Treble according to the 1931 Wheatstone pricelist, i.e. at £14 & £28 respectively.

At my stage of development, instead of the 9A, I would need the Model 16 Baritone-Treble at £33 as a second primary instrument. If only they were still those prices eh!

I've still got a lot to achieve on my Model 19, but the 16 will definitely be a worthwhile extension of this endeavour, not the 9A I'm afraid. However, the 9A will undoubtedly be a great choice for an ear player whether starting out or advanced. I myself might hanker for one of these further down the line - I'm not sure!

[My other goal - where I'd rather play not interpret/re-interpret bass clefs ie on the majority of piano scores - is to simply have a bass EC. Once accomplished, I would be trying to layer/record such playing along with a [mixed-in] separately recorded treble-clef part, which would necessitate a TT above that of either a BT/Baritone or plain Treble - apologies for the irrelevance of this point on your post, just keeping track of the 2 instruments I'd actually need next or want first!]

Hope you do well from your enquiry

Edited by kevin toner

Wheatstone baritone No.32556 and in the book as "September 23rd 1930 N.P. Baritone 48 keys K.V.W.S. varnish" that rich, beautiful tone you get from brass reeds.

I took it into the Crabb shop in Liverpool Road way back, and I think it must have been Neville had a look at it and reckoned it had been made for a missionary!

Not sure how he worked that out'

Based on the fitted metal ends and the fact that, at that time, the number of Instruments supplied with brass reed tongues was rare and usually at request.

Further study of the pricelist 'referred to in Kevins post below' reveals the statement,

'Any instrument from No. 4, can be fitted with SPECIAL NON-CORROSIVE REEDS for damp and tropical climates at no extra charge'.

Geoff

This Model 9A Baritone is exactly half the price of my risen ended Model 19 Tenor-Treble according to the 1931 Wheatstone pricelist, i.e. at £14 & £28 respectively.

Actual original price of this 9a, £15-5-0. From the pricelist again, 'Nickel plated ends to 9a & 10, 25/- extra'

(Well done with 'Winter Wonderland' Kevin).

Geoff

Based on the fitted metal ends and the fact that, at that time, the number of Instruments supplied with brass reed tongues was rare and usually at request. Further study of the pricelist 'referred to in Kevins post below' reveals the statement,

'Any instrument from No. 4, can be fitted with SPECIAL NON-CORROSIVE REEDS for damp and tropical climates at no extra charge'.

Thanks for that Geoff I have often wondered how he worked that out from just looking inside. As far as refurbishment goes it only needs the bellows refurbed, everything else seems fine and it is in concert pitch. Thanks to eveybody for their input.

OK I think there's more to that than 'tropical' That seems an awful lot of plain metal in the ends. Perhaps set up for someone who was VERY sure that they were playing to self accompany AND WANTED IT QUIET>

I did play on an album a few years ago and this track shows off the baritone quite well. http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=5536187&ac=now I know the playing isn't brilliant, infact I'm not proud of the first bit, I didn't realise they were going to use the first take! The rich tone of the chords can be heard and I have to disagree about the volume, it certainly isn't quiet! I used to play it in the Dorrington Fen Concertina Orchestra back in the early 80's and it held its' own against all those trebles!

Edited by redlaneham

In the price list it mentions "best nickel plated raised ends" on No 22 Treble as if this was unusual. Does that mean that most metal ends are flat? I ask because mine has a definite domed middle section where the buttons are. Probably about 6mm rise.

OK just been looking around a bit and found the post about raised ends http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13946 Interesting, so it looks like another 5/- on the price!!

Edited by redlaneham