Jump to content

What our concertinas look like?


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

I've been meaning to share for a while, but haven't found the time to take any decent pictures. But, I suppose, a few cell phone snaps will do. Kensington concertina, and the Kensington perched atop a two octave Harry Geuns basse aux pieds (or foot bass, if you prefer) inherited from my late father. I can't say that I am close to being able to play the two together, though I find the latter can be used as a sort of intermittent drone on 'Bonaparte's Retreat' to relatively pleasing effect. 

IMG_4758.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My Holden Hayden. 

Detailed info can be found in Alex's blog.

Every time I play I unconsciously think how gratefull I do feel to @inventor for developping the Hayden system.

Well It is due time to say thank you Mr Hayden for that wonderful gift🙂. I enjoy that sooo much!!

IsraIMG_20201129_211542.thumb.jpg.ca2c55c21dc33294da4945eb2822e496.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 3:16 PM, Isel said:

My Holden Hayden. 

Detailed info can be found in Alex's blog.

Every time I play I unconsciously think how gratefull I do feel to @inventor for developping the Hayden system.

Well It is due time to say thank you Mr Hayden for that wonderful gift🙂. I enjoy that sooo much!!

IsraIMG_20201129_211542.thumb.jpg.ca2c55c21dc33294da4945eb2822e496.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

I enjoyed watching your instrument being built on Alex's page. A lot of work went into it!

 

Here is my new Dipper. Hard to describe how happy I am with it. I guess the best way to describe it is that it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

5qaKFdU.jpgppEO5PQ.jpgzAFBXF4.jpgpjrUKHz.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, Pgidley said:

I enjoyed watching your instrument being built on Alex's page. A lot of work went into it!

 

Here is my new Dipper. Hard to describe how happy I am with it. I guess the best way to describe it is that it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

5qaKFdU.jpgppEO5PQ.jpgzAFBXF4.jpgpjrUKHz.jpg

 

 

special 2 degree taper reeds by Colin Dipper, that sounds interesting. Those Dippers are ever so good with their innovations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveS said:

My new Wakker Parnassus Tenor-Treble.  

One mod is I substituted the D#3 for a Bb2 on the left side.

 

97056634_IMG_1319(400x361).jpg.155b61bf58d724b0e0eace1c3a3a8d71.jpg

Interesting !  Is that  a wrist  strap  bracket  just  disappearing out of  view  on the left ?  I  think  many  people would  like to  see a  review  of  your  new Parnassus  TT... if  you would  oblige .

Edited by Geoff Wooff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Robin Harrison said:

I'd be interested to know why/what is the significance of the 2 degree taper ?

Thanks

Robin

Hey Robin

 

From Colin's explanation, the tapered reeds bring some of the upper partials under control and contribute a bit more sweetness to the tone. The main intent in going with the tapered reeds vs parallel was to provide more control over dynamic range. All of these seem to be at the expense of volume, but from my comparisons, the instrument can be louder than both of my Jeffries (both bone button, so not the loudest Jeffs), so maybe its more a loss in initial attack of the note rather than total dB. Either way I think it was a great decision, as I can find no fault in the tone or playability whatsoever. 

 

As it plays in the tone is changing quite a bit already, and its picking up more of a growl in the low range than it had initially, so I expect it will continue to change over time. I've only played a small number of other Dippers very briefly, so its difficult to make a direct comparison. 

 

Hopefully in the not distant future I'll be able to travel to Southern Ontario, it would be great to get together with yourself, Bill and Paul, and share a few tunes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 This is my Lachenal prototype ‘New model’ with raised metal ends and 5 fold bellows. Believed to be the first of its type. Very nice clear sound and very responsive. I’d love a Wheatstone when I can afford it. I took up concertina as I was unable to carry on playing my fiddle due to surgery on nerves in my elbow.

92930344-EDB6-4BCD-8391-159DFA7A3FB6.jpeg

Edited by Stephen Haywood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

 

(if you see this) You have an impressive group of "tortoise" shell instruments. Do they all share any particular quality of sound, playability or anything that distinguishes them, rather than just being beautiful and exotic (and unfortunate for the tortoises)?

 

Thanks,

 

Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi. I'm new to the group but I've been playing Irish music on the English concertina for about 20+ years. I have a 36 button Wheatstone that is a great player against fiddles. I really love the wrist straps since I work the bellows like a fiddle bow.

I found my number on the build ledger 33011 and have some questions.

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD02/PAGES/D2P1310S.HTM

Can anyone tell me what the NP and K.V.W.S  items mean?

Fred V

Pensacola Fl.

 

239121111_Wheatstone33011.JPG.f161471a54274414ac39d82a47725727.JPG2140809325_Wheatstone33011-2.JPG.1285fd868573a35c53b00187f2134901.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, richard said:

Hi Mike

 

(if you see this) You have an impressive group of "tortoise" shell instruments. Do they all share any particular quality of sound, playability or anything that distinguishes them, rather than just being beautiful and exotic (and unfortunate for the tortoises)?

 

Thanks,

 

Richard

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...