What our concertinas look like?

Latest addition to the stable: a Peacock.  I got an Elise to try out the Hayden system, liked it and upgraded.  Now to improve my playing to the point that I'm willing to play it where others might hear me...

306450308_10221923137690844_702717354215

• 2 months later...

So I don’t believe I ever posted my Dipper but now that the family has grown I will show you both. I have had The Dipper a little over 4 years. It was built in 1981. It is 5 1/2 inches across the flats and weighs 1025 grams. It is a glorious instrument in almost every way. But I had a few concerns. First I worried about traveling with it and I worried about the excessive dryness in my house in the winter even with a humidifier. 
I have been fascinated by what Edward Jay has done with his 3D printed instruments. So I got my new instrument from him this week. It is 6 1/2 inches across the flats and weighs 1187 grams. I am very happy with it. It plays easily and sounds great. Since I am not great player you should visit has website to hear professionals playing it. Makes a great second instrument for me.

C961441A-8940-41ED-ADD4-2E62F7AA4FBB.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 6:02 AM, genepinefield said:

Hello
Does anyone identify this Wheatstone English Concertina 48 key model name?
The end of material is maybe Rosewood.

IMG_0462_s_1920.JPG

Wheatstone's seem to have given their models neither names nor numbers at the time, but these inlaid rosewood-ended ones sold for £12 ,, 12s, and were sometimes described as "for concerts" - so I'd be inclined to refer to them as "the twelve guinea model" or "the concert model".

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and finally (after having found my soldering iron again): LH 6 on the draw: C4 down to A3, essential for my playing the 20b in general, and this fantastic little screamer in particular

4876C45B-A702-4CD8-8184-34FE7D48F3E8.jpeg

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2015 at 1:23 AM, Chandler said:

post-10661-0-30713600-1425748848_thumb.jpg

As the original post says "What our concertinas look like?" I thought I would show you mine as is!

Mid restoration, just about ready to re-bush, sort pads and valves and anything else that crops up!

Your concertina getting the love it deserve.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:02 PM, genepinefield said:

Hello
Does anyone identify this Wheatstone English Concertina 48 key model name?
The end of material is maybe Rosewood.

IMG_0462_s_1920.JPG

On 2/22/2023 at 12:23 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

Wheatstone's seem to have given their models neither names nor numbers at the time, but these inlaid rosewood-ended ones sold for £12 ,, 12s, and were sometimes described as "for concerts" - so I'd be inclined to refer to them as "the twelve guinea model" or "the concert model".

I’ll add a photo here later but I picked up one of these 12 guinea models in near mint condition with a mint condition case for next to nothing.  It has become one of my absolute favourite concertinas: quite but super responsive with a large dynamic range .  7573 serial from 1856 is sandwiched between Regondi and Blagrove.  I feel very privileged to be its custodian.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 4to5to6 said:

I’ll add a photo here later but I picked up one of these 12 guinea models in near mint condition with a mint condition case for next to nothing.  It has become one of my absolute favourite concertinas: quite but super responsive with a large dynamic range .  7573 serial from 1856 is sandwiched between Regondi and Blagrove.  I feel very privileged to be its custodian.

Original pads and valves? Or has it been rehabbed?

Can you say something about how it’s tuned?

On 10/20/2023 at 7:00 AM, David Barnert said:

Original pads and valves? Or has it been rehabbed?

Can you say something about how it’s tuned?

Original pads, new valves, tuned to A440 and voiced.

I’ve come to realize that it’s mainly about the quality of the reeds and how the concertina has been stored (cared for) over its life.  This one started out as a “best of the best” 12 guinea Wheatstone.  Emily Bulteel was a student of Richard Blagrove.  Even the almost 170 year old case is nearly mint.  Most of these hex cases have fallen apart by now.  I brought the bellows back to full life with some Connolly Hide Care.  I don’t know who tuned it to A440 but the steel reed profiles look great.  It has the original leather bellows so a bit of a subdued sound and super expressive and responsive with amazing dynamics.  It is my favourite at home, in the evening, concertina 2nd only to my golden era 31xxx amboyna TT that cost me over 20 times as much!

I’ll get a few photo of it on here soon.  Another interesting feature is that it only has a 5-fold bellows but the folds are very deep so it opens up a lot more than expected;  I never run out of air.

• 3 months later...

People who don't play concertinas often ask me, "Why do you need more than one?"

The answer could simply be, "I don't", but after a while a player realizes each concertina has a particular quality that your current one doesn't, but may not have some that your current one does.

The long & short of it is that I don't care what maker or year the box is, but how it plays and sounds.

So here's my "What & Why";Mattsconcertinaswhy.jpeg.affd42dcc095649dedbe9545e9b60a4b.jpeg

• Like 1

I am new to learning the English Concertina.  I first purchased a McNeela Sparrow.  Within a week issues began to develop with the instrument so I returned it.  I was able to correspond with Frank Edgley who introduced me to his friend, a very experienced EC player.  His help was invaluable and this is my ‘new to me’ Lachenal New Model EC.

IMG_5594.jpeg

• Like 1