Concertinas in Brazil

Daniel Hersh

I had no idea that there was a Brazilian concertina tradition, but see this. The players are descendants of immigrants from Pomerania, which is apparently along the German-Polish border. They play what appear to be Carlsfelder concertinas.

I had no idea that there was a Brazilian concertina tradition, but see this. The players are descendants of immigrants from Pomerania, which is apparently along the German-Polish border. They play what appear to be Carlsfelder concertinas.

Fun!

(And does anyone know where the EC tradition in Bolivia comes from - they all seem to have Edeophones or high end Wheatstones as well!)

• 4 months later...

Fun!

(And does anyone know where the EC tradition in Bolivia comes from - they all seem to have Edeophones or high end Wheatstones as well!)

Hi Spindizzy:

I'm from Bolivia, I am researching the origin of the concertina in Bolivia. there is not much information.

I think one of the earliest interpreters of the Concertina in Bolivia was Larrea and Uriarte. Other former interpreters come from Cochabamba. I will post an article as soon have more information.

Regards

I don't know about Brazil, but I once bought what looked like a very nice Lachenal EC from Peru. When I opened it up, I discovered that about 75% of the wooden frames were hollow. Voracious insects had left the veneer on the outside (I guess they didn't like the taste of glue) and a wafer-thin sliver of wood on the inside, having devoured everything in between. One particularly industrious grub had eaten its way right through every fold of the bellows to get to the other end. I swore a mighty oath then and there that I would never again buy a concertina from a sub-tropical climate.

Here's a documentory on Concertinas in Bolivia:

WOW! I'm going to have to brush up on my high school Spanish, but that was one neat video.

Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was surprised that the EC seemed to be the dominant type. They also appeared to be top-of-the-line instruments, which I guess shouldn't be surprised about that, given the caliber of the musicians.

Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was surprised that the EC seemed to be the dominant type. They also appeared to be top-of-the-line instruments, which I guess shouldn't be surprised about that, given the caliber of the musicians.

And did you notice that they play with 2 fingers?

WOW! I'm going to have to brush up on my high school Spanish, but that was one neat video.

That must have been the video that I'd seen ... aeolas and edeophones!

• 3 months later...