Players in the MD-VA-DC Areas

In a recent posting on pictures I noticed a cadre of folks near or around the DC Metro area from Baltimore out through Virginia. I like to get a little contact list and maybe set something up where we can all meet and perform.

Whatcha think?

rss

MY house is available. I have a big music room and am very near the Beltway in Fairfax.

jb

Please count me to participate in whatever you plan.

And what do you think about the following idea aimed at attracting some new players in the area? We approach David Eisner at House of Musical Traditions (HMT), Tacoma Park to promote a one-day "Introduction to the Concertina Event" (or some other billing). Randy Stein et al could handle the English concertina demo presentation, us Anglo boys could handle the Anglo part, maybe there is a duet player in the area who could do a duet demo, I could make a presentation based on material from the many articles that I have written about te history of concertinas and concertinists, and we could all participate in a discussion/Q&A session. If Wendy Morrison is still associated with HMT, maybe we could enlist her participation.

Maybe HMT could have a few concertinas in stock and available for sale. If the rest of us have any for sale, we could bring them along.

I have wanted to approach David about such an event, but have thought that it would be more effective to come to him as a group.

Please post your thoughts on such an event.

Randy Merris

McLean, VA

Edited by Dowright

Please count me to participate in whatever you plan.

And what do you think about the following idea aimed at attracting some new players in the area? We approach David Eisner at House of Musical Traditions (HMT), Tacoma Park to promote a one-day "Introduction to the Concertina Event" (or some other billing). Randy Stein et al could handle the English concertina demo presentation, us Anglo boys could handle the Anglo part, maybe there is a duet player in the area who could do a duet demo, I could make a presentation based on material from the many articles that I have written about te history of concertinas and concertinists, and we could all participate in a discussion/Q&A session. If Wendy Morrison is still associated with HMT, maybe we could enlist her participation.

Maybe HMT could have a few concertinas in stock and available for sale. If the rest of us have any for sale, we could bring them along.

Hey Randy - good to hear from you. I already put you on the list for our gathering! HMT is a good idea; I see David pretty regularly and I'll raise it with him.

And Wendy MOrrison, who sometimes shows up on c.net, is their free reed guru, and a great musician.

Edited by Jim Besser

Jim,

I'm hoping to pick up the English;

I rented a 20b Anglo from HMT last fall,

which was fun (I wasn't totally confused by the in-out thing);

I'm not coming to this from a traditional music

background (I listen mostly to rock)

so I don't have the peer pressure to get an Anglo.

Plus I think that I'll do better with there being only one way

to play each note.

Specifically, I'm in Arlington.

Dave

I'm a newbie (English) about 20 miles west of Fredericksburg (Unionville). It's a bit of a stretch, but I'd love to pop up now and again.

It's funny, actually ... my wife spent her youth drivng (or being driven) once a week from the sticks (Madison, Va) into NoVa for harp lessons. Guess we just can't escape the gravitational pull of the DC area ...

I'm a newbie (English) about 20 miles west of Fredericksburg (Unionville). It's a bit of a stretch, but I'd love to pop up now and again.

It's funny, actually ... my wife spent her youth drivng (or being driven) once a week from the sticks (Madison, Va) into NoVa for harp lessons. Guess we just can't escape the gravitational pull of the DC area ...

Hope you can come. See the new thread for more information; we're set for March 25. We know the F'berg area well; my daughter graduated from Mary Washington.