Looking for a English Baritone Vintage Concertina

StephenTx

Colleagues, If any of you should hear of or have an English Vintage Baritones, I am thinking I might like to acquire such. As most of you know I began my journey last July and acquired in fairly rapid succession a Lachenal Brass Reeded tutor, Wheatstone (1852) steel and and Edeophone metal ended that I purchased through cnet. Greg has done a fantastic job in restoring the Lachenal and Wheatstone and the Edeophone is schedule to go for a check up but she's in tune and in good shape (may need some new pads or minor work). It has been a great process having all three to play and to get a feel for the variety. But what I am coming to realize is that while there are differences between the Wheatstone and the Edeophone I would probably be better off in having a Baritone and either trade or selling one of them to do so to acquire the Baritone. I would also appreciate your wisdom and thoughts with my perceptions---as I have found that there are many time altered when taping into this vast knowledge pool. I have communicated with C.Algar but would prefer to find one (for obvious reasons) US based. Stephen in Texas

Edited by StephenTx

*nudge* Bring them all to the Old Palestine festival so that I can check them out...the only other 'tina I've been able to put hands on other than my Jackie was a 20-button Lachenal Anglo just this past weekend, for about five minutes. B)

Edited by Reed Bellows

I'm quite fond of my baritone. It has nickel silver reeds in hand cut reed shoes, so must date from 1849 or so. A very mellow instrument if a bit temperamental. It is nice to have the variety. It took a little while for the baritone to come along--it was languishing in Australia and went to Wim Wakker for rehab after I got it. It's better traveled than I am.

I have also played a steel reeded Lachenal baritone which was much louder and more brash. I guess part of my point is that a baritone could be an early parlor instrument or a later band instrument and the character of the sound could be quite different.

Good luck in your search. I'm going to hang on to mine, though my heirs might not!

I'm quite fond of my baritone. It has nickel silver reeds in hand cut reed shoes, so must date from 1849 or so. A very mellow instrument if a bit temperamental. It is nice to have the variety. It took a little while for the baritone to come along--it was languishing in Australia and went to Wim Wakker for rehab after I got it. It's better traveled than I am.

I have also played a steel reeded Lachenal baritone which was much louder and more brash. I guess part of my point is that a baritone could be an early parlor instrument or a later band instrument and the character of the sound could be quite different.

Good luck in your search. I'm going to hang on to mine, though my heirs might not!

I have a Wheatstone Baritone, Wakker refurbished, and it's just beautiful! 1851 or so, with brass reeds, rosewood. The bass notes are just so deep and... well you know. I lucked out with an eBay auction from the UK, it needed a fair bit of work and I don't think the sellers knew what they had. It doesn't speak quick, but when it does... ahhhh!

I'm not willing to sell it yet though. :)

Patrick

*nudge* Bring them all to the Old Palestine festival so that I can check them out...the only other 'tina I've been able to put hands on other than my Jackie was a 20-button Lachenal Anglo just this past weekend, for about five minutes. B)

I am certain there will be plenty of "candy" to entice you at Old Palestine.

I have a Wheatstone Baritone, Wakker refurbished, and it's just beautiful! 1851 or so, with brass reeds, rosewood. The bass notes are just so deep and... well you know. I lucked out with an eBay auction from the UK, it needed a fair bit of work and I don't think the sellers knew what they had. It doesn't speak quick, but when it does... ahhhh!

I'm not willing to sell it yet though. :)

Patrick

I know that you said "vintage," but I would not rule out the Button Box baritone which is very light.

I assume you are referencing the Morse concertinas they make? I have listened to a couple of them Baritone being played on you tube and they don't have the mellowness of sound that I am looking for. I am certain you are aware that they use accordion type of reeds and they just don't hit the mark for what I am looking for. Do you have one...I realize that you tube does produce high fidelity sound but.....

I know that you said "vintage," but I would not rule out the Button Box baritone which is very light.

I assume you are referencing the Morse concertinas they make? I have listened to a couple of them Baritone being played on you tube and they don't have the mellowness of sound that I am looking for. I am certain you are aware that they use accordion type of reeds and they just don't hit the mark for what I am looking for. Do you have one...I realize that you tube does produce high fidelity sound but.....

What about adding baffles to sweeten the tone? Anyone have experience with playing a Morse with baffles?

What about adding baffles to sweeten the tone? Anyone have experience with playing a Morse with baffles?

Baffle...I am clueless as to what that means/entails. Enlightenment would be appreciated. Thank you.

Laitch, Thank you this is a very interesting article and now I am anxious to try it on my Lachenal metal ended Edeophone as it seems like it might soften and mellow the tone a bit. Very appreciated. I see you are from Vermont...what type of music (pardon the expression) are you primarily into playing on the concertina?

Stephen