What we all look like - take 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous portrait. All color coordinated.

Beautiful!!!!

However,I should like to know if Jeff normally plays his duet while sitting up a tree? Is this an obligatory form of practice?

I think he's trying to branch out!

Sometimes, we all have a desire to be leafed alone.

I've just twigged, you're all barking.

The root of the issue is that I need to get trunk more often.

Well, ya wood, woodn't ya! It all depends on where your playing stems from!!

Chris

Is anyone else getting board with this?

I wonder how long before someone calls the copse on yew.

Too much silo vision lurching in the background!

Beautiful!!!!

However,I should like to know if Jeff normally plays his duet while sitting up a tree? Is this an obligatory form of practice?

Chris

Nope, sorry ... you totally lost me on that one, Don't understand that phrase at all. :(

Beautiful!!!!

Chris

Nope, sorry ... you totally lost me on that one, Don't understand that phrase at all. :(

I think he meant the larch. The Larch. THE. LARCH.

Beautiful!!!!

Chris

Number one...

Beautiful!!!!

Chris

Number one...

Yes, I apologise for the complexity of intertwined meanings!

LARCH was not my conscious intention although it makes for a worthy eggcorn that I'm inclined to claim! Another slim one is that birch rhymes with lurch, but larch might also have been in the back of my mind too...

The confusion might be a number of things, so I'll try to elaborate:

silo vision OR mentality is whereby everyone applies the same tact – in this case tree puns at the expense of silo puns. I thought you’d all got that one. Basically silo-vision connotes the vision of a silo in the background as well as meaning the one-sidedness/exclusivity of tree puns!

As there’s a silo in the background being beaten by way of pun offerings, I thought to stop the rot, or should I say Dutch elm disease!

However, as “silo vision” was going it alone, I thought another pun was due, i.e. lurching as opposed to lurking in the background. Lurch has a double meaning as well as rhyming with Lurk, which is significant as follows.

The word “lurch” is to add a friendlier tact than simply saying silo-mentality, e.g. as in friendly game play (Tree Vs Silo in this case) to express the silo puns scoring NIL in their beating. In other words they’ve been ‘grannied’ or ‘whitewashed’; or you might say 'lurched', which is one of the primary meanings of lurch.

Admittedly, I wasn’t aware at the time of writing that ‘Lurch’ is actually a legitimate secondary meaning for the word Lurk! “lurching/lurking” is therefore a double meaning pun [more examples please folks!] rather than a blatantly applied rhyming pun –

lurch rhyming with birch; or larch as an eggcorn of lurch might offer a little condolence for the rhyming [with lurk] pun not being valid [ps per se], albeit producing such a conceited double-meaning pun has made my day, but again I have to confess it was unintentional. Even if I was that clever, I would never demonstrate it – I was honestly trying to rhyme with lurk, not provide a rhyming synonym.

accidental luck...! Again apologies for being overly complex.

Edited by kevin toner

LARCH was not my conscious intention although it makes for a worthy eggcorn that I'm inclined to claim! Another slim one is that birch rhymes with lurch, but larch might also have been in the back of my mind too...

silo vision OR mentality is whereby everyone applies the same tact – in this case tree puns at the expense of silo puns. I thought you’d all got that one. Basically silo-vision connotes the vision of a silo in the background as well as meaning the one-sidedness/exclusivity of tree puns!

As there’s a silo in the background being beaten by way of pun offerings, I thought to stop the rot, or should I say Dutch elm disease!

However, as “silo vision” was going it alone, I thought another pun was due, i.e. lurching as opposed to lurking in the background. Lurch has a double meaning as well as rhyming with Lurk, which is significant as follows.

The word “lurch” is to add a friendlier tact than simply saying silo-mentality, e.g. as in friendly game play (Tree Vs Silo in this case) to express the silo puns scoring NIL in their beating. In other words they’ve been ‘grannied’ or ‘whitewashed’; or you might say 'lurched', which is one of the primary meanings of lurch.

Admittedly, I wasn’t aware at the time of writing that ‘Lurch’ is actually a legitimate secondary meaning for the word Lurk! “lurching/lurking” is therefore a double meaning pun [more examples please folks!] rather than a blatantly applied rhyming pun –

lurch rhyming with birch; or larch as an eggcorn of lurch might offer a little condolence for the rhyming [with lurk] pun not being valid, albeit producing such a conceited double-meaning pun has made my day, but again I have to confess it was unintentional. Even if I was that clever, I would never demonstrate it – I was honestly trying to rhyme with lurk, not provide a rhyming synonym.

This was all I meant...

;)

Edited by Reed Bellows

lurch rhyming with birch; or larch as an eggcorn of lurch might offer a little condolence for the rhyming [with lurk] pun not being valid [ps per se], albeit producing such a conceited double-meaning pun has made my day, but again I have to confess it was unintentional. Even if I was that clever, I would never demonstrate it – I was honestly trying to rhyme with lurk, not provide a rhyming synonym.

This was all I meant...

;)

Eureka: If I may amend to - "too much silo vision larching in the background", I agree much better! but calling all literary geniuses - don't miss out the quadruple [arguably quintuple] pun in the usage of larching [i.e. septuple pun in total]! ps or perhaps even octuple depending on accent ie where there might be some vowel ryhming potential between larch[ing] and lurk[ing]

[ergo 1) silo-vision as 'vision of silo'; 2) larching as lurching, ie referencing wood in lieu of lurch ; 3) lurching as in the game-play meaning of being heavily beaten ie whitewashed/grannied and ps 4) as a pun [gaming alternative] to the use/allegation of silo-vision/mentality; 5) lurching as in lurking ie a double meaning or rhyming synonym; 6) arguably ditto as a rhymed pun – not as a double meaning, ie lurch connoting not denoting lurk; 7) lurch rhyming with birch..., ps: and of course 8) where larch rhymes with lurch in some dialects! apologies for the cheeky 8th - should be actually 7.5)!

Guys, thanks for direction - I couldn't have done it alone!

Reed Bellows, excellent sketch reminiscence/sourcing, hard to beat. Feeling unashamedly like one of these school kids!

All, sincere apologies for taking credit of the septuple pun, when originally it was thought to be a mere quadruple - you live and learn as they say!

So now on with the show - back to the photos of course!

Edited by kevin toner

This was all I meant...

Please, no more reply nesting cluttering up this nice thread! By the way, it's a water tower in the background.

Boney, you caught me out there, it looked more like a silo to me, sorry! But, then again "silo type" water towers are relatively rare compared to the other types.

I managed to find one like yours on google images as per this link here. Some larches in the background too!

This arguably reduces my compound pun to a mere sextuple+ pun, but still not bad! However, apologies for trying to reinstate the thread. Please folks, no more puns!

back to images

Edited by kevin toner

post-1365-0-67781900-1331324972_thumb.jpg

Not the most recent, but at least I'm holding an Anglo and have a smile on my face. Lost that T-shirt though, dmammit.

Nice photo, Brian!

Where was Howard Jones' photo taken?

Yes - I've been wondering that, too. It's like the Guess Where UK group on Flickr!

Definitely in the Peak District - gritstone edges. I get the impression that it is on the western side, perhaps near the Goyt Valley/Wildboarclough/Roaches way. The view is looking to the west or south-west. I've had a quick try at finding the field boundaries on Google Earth, but not had time to do a proper search.

Edited by Steve_freereeder

Come on you lot, they've finished that stupid tree pun stuff and there's lots of you haven't put a photo up.

What are you scared of?

Mama MAMIYA, I LEICA good pun, but yer probably right. The EXPOSURE would probably change the FOCUS of the thread. CANNON we all just DEVELOP the subject at hand? Trees just LENS themselves to bad puns. I SHUTTER to think of the consequences if there was a little NEGATIVE thread drift amongst friends now and then.

Thanks

Leo :P :ph34r: