Washers on end bolts

This ad is currently on Gumtree....

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/anglo-concertina-with-english-style-mechanism/96318690

Need I say more....?

To avoid hijacking the original thread - I note these concertinas appear to have washers on the end bolts (screws?). I don't recall seeing them on many others, whereas I've both seen and heard of Lachenals etc with the bolt heads gradually burrowing their way through the end plates.

Have I just got it wrong (it's been a long week) or is there a reason they're not used?

The anglo pictured appears to have wood screws, not proper end bolts. The phillips heads are a bit of a tell. I suspect Chinese manufacture.

Well, you can say what you like about my metal-ended Stagi, but it certainly isn't Chinese! :o

It has proper end bolts going through into the bellows frame, and these have Philips heads. The bolt heads are countersunk type, and have the usual rosettes (not washers!) that you use when screwing down a hard, flat component with countersunk screws.

The rosettes are made of pressed, thin metal sheet, and the depression in them matches the angle of the countersink on the screw head. They are available for different diameters of screw.

The advantage of using a countersunk screw with a rosette, as opposed to just a cheese-headed or round-headed screw, is that if the rosette is big enough, there is no risk of anything (like your cuff or wrist when playing a concertina) catching on the protruding screw-head.

Cheers,

John