English Concertina Must-Haves

Hello All ...

I've got a Jackie on the way (in the mail as we speak), and I'm curious what you think a beginner like myself really needs to get started--I'm thinking tutors, recordings, paraphernalia, etc.

I'll be playing mostly English/Scottish folk/dance music and early American stuff, as well as Lutheran church music, and mostly accompanying my wife (more on this in this thread). I'll be getting the Jackie tutor, of course, and I can get things like the Salvation Army PDF, but the number of recommended books and recordings on this site would bust my budget many times over. We have plenty of sheet music sitting around, but I'm mostly an ear guy anyway (I play old-time banjo as my primary, if that tells you anything).

So ... what should be at the top pf my list?

The Frank Butler tutor is really good, and is available as a without charge .PDF. It's for a 48 button instrument, but a great deal of it would apply to your 30 button. I think you can find one on the concertina.com website, although I might be mistaken and am too lazy to check. You can often find the actual book on Ebay inexpensively. I think I bought one for less than $15.

One standard and easily available is Alistair Anderson's concertina workshop and also the tutor by Richard Carlin. However, Anderson has just come out with a CD or DVD tutor which is available in the UK and should soon be available in the US. I am very much looking forward to it.

Alistair Anderson's Concertina Workshop has a CD which is available again. I found this source helpful. I collected a bunch of tutors (Butler is on concertina.com as is the all systems chording workshop notes). Mostly what you need is time to practice, explore, and play. Pick out some tunes you know that are in easy keys (C, Am, G, D). Start sitting with the instrument held stable on one knee. When you get tired give yourself a break-- you will be using some muscles in your thumbs and little fingers in unfamiliar ways.

Most important: have fun making music.

The Butler Tutor Book 1 is available as a download on the internet - message me if you can't find it.

And as a plug for the ICA (International Concertina Association) - if you join it, you can ask the librarian for a pdf copy of the Butler 2 tutor. Plus heaps of other sheet music, interesting magazines etc. etc.

Pamela

Hello All ...

I've got a Jackie on the way (in the mail as we speak), and I'm curious what you think a beginner like myself really needs to get started--I'm thinking tutors, recordings, paraphernalia, etc.

I'll be playing mostly English/Scottish folk/dance music and early American stuff, as well as Lutheran church music, and mostly accompanying my wife (more on this in this thread). I'll be getting the Jackie tutor, of course, and I can get things like the Salvation Army PDF, but the number of recommended books and recordings on this site would bust my budget many times over. We have plenty of sheet music sitting around, but I'm mostly an ear guy anyway (I play old-time banjo as my primary, if that tells you anything).

So ... what should be at the top pf my list?

Good luck with it. There's a great series of youtube vids by a guy called Martyn, just sitting in his kitchen but he covers a lot of stuff. No connection, I just came across it a while back.

Andrew

When I started playing English with a Jackie, I personally found that the single most helpful tutor book was the one that Concertina Connection supply with the Jackie!

I've picked up really good tips from all the ones mentioned so far, but don't discount the one that comes in the package.

I have downloaded the Butler Tutor (180p tag on the cover ... if only), and I have no intention of underestimating the included tutor, so that's two solid starts. I've also checked out Martyn's YouTube videos, and I'm looking forward to doing a bit of squeezing and squawking with him once the box arrives. I'll keep an eye out for the debut of the Alistair Anderson DVD as well.

The English International recording may be a little harder to come by, however ... it isn't on Amazon, and a couple of brief web searches have only turned up UK vendors. Does anyone know a US outlet that might have it?

Thanks again!