New Anglo Tutor - Harmonic Style

gcoover

As an extension of the concertina workshops I teach at the Old Palestine Concertina Weekend, I’ll soon be publishing an extensive tutor on how to play the 30-button C/G Anglo in the “English” or “Harmonic” style. In my own journey learning the Anglo I found that none of the existing tutors were much help in how to play chords or harmonies like my favorite concertina recordings.

So, in addition to presenting some basic beginner tunes and chords, and teaching with melody lines and tablature, a major component will be note-for-note transcriptions of tunes recorded by the likes of John Kirkpatrick, John Watcham, Andy Turner, Brian Peters and others. And yes, believe it or not, 99% of their tunes can be made to fit on a standard 30-button instrument! I’ve already transcribed well over a hundred tunes for the Anglo, however, there is neither room nor need for all of those to be in this book.

Before unleashing this tome on the unsuspecting public, I thought it would be a good idea to poll the assembled brain trust here at Cnet as to suggestions for any particular Anglo tunes that you would like to see notated and included. Here’s your chance to recommend tunes from your favorite players!

As to the timing of all this, those who attend my Palestine workshop at the end of March will be given draft copies to take on a test run, and presuming all goes reasonably well the finished tutor should be available shortly after that.

So gentlemen and ladies, tunes you’d like to see?

Thanks!

Gary

Gary,

I could make use of arrangements of the Playford tunes with simple accompaniments. There's an active English Country Dance scene here in southern California.

At the moment I play only Irish session tunes on my anglo, plus the first few American fiddle tunes from Bertram's book.

All my arrangements have been made for coming to Old Pal.

Ken

That sounds pretty impressive.

Could you look at manageable tunes on Anglo International I'm sure the artists wouldn't mind your efforts.

I'd like to see some chord arrangements to accompany tunes in Eminor , Aminor and Bminor as well as in F.

Anahata has some great Anglo playing on Youtube that might be useful to work on.