Looking for a used Rochelle -- or Jackie or Elise?

I've read all I can on the different styles of concertinas, but will take any more advice available. I'm also posting here in hopes that one of you accomplished players has a used concertina collecting dust that you might be interested in selling to a novice. I'm most interested in a Rochelle, but, as above, am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Hi there!

My best advice would be to attend the The 11th Annual Palestine Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival on March 29-31 in Palestine, TX.

There's going to be a fair contingent of concertina players there (myself included), and you'll be able to see, hear, and (good graces willing) check out the different styles of concertinas.

I play a Jackie (English) myself, Jody Kruskal will be there with (I'm assuming ;) ) at least one Anglo, and from what I've read, other styles are also represented.

The website is www.oldpalmusic.com if you'd like more information, or message Dan Worrall or gcoover here on this forum and they can also fill you in.

I think Reed has given a fair piece of advice for any person looking to pick up the concertina. While I have never been to the Palestine advent, I have been to NESI, and most of the folks are friendly, and willing to explain their instrument and system to you and I imagine it would be the same there. Sometimes it is just better to actually experience something than just reading about it.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

KHaygood,

I went through the same selection process you are going through. I just posted a little about my experiences with the Elise and Rochelle here:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13871

I'll be at Palestine next month. It's just down the road from you. I'm really excited about meeting living breathing concertina players.

RT