English Concertina - Mastering the Art

I linked back to your e-bay reference to see description. I've been in Alistair Anderson land for the past 4 months--playing all his romping dots and eighths and sixteenths--not necessicarily well--but certainly with enjoyment. Listening to all his CDs. I too would be interested in hearing someone who has tried or heard these tuitions--I have a lot more I could learn from Alistair! I probably should just buy myself and than tell all of you what I think. (Even my poor hubbie knows what I've been doing all day when I reference "Uncle Alistair"....) Michelle

I linked back to your e-bay reference to see description. I've been in Alistair Anderson land for the past 4 months--playing all his romping dots and eighths and sixteenths--not necessicarily well--but certainly with enjoyment. Listening to all his CDs. I too would be interested in hearing someone who has tried or heard these tuitions--I have a lot more I could learn from Alistair! I probably should just buy myself and than tell all of you what I think. (Even my poor hubbie knows what I've been doing all day when I reference "Uncle Alistair"....) Michelle

Hi Michelle ~ I'm a great fan of Alistair and his playing, so I've just ordered a copy of the DVD, myself. Although I am not a beginner, I am sure he will progress to some more advanced tuition that I will find useful and can learn from. So, do yourself and your concertina a favour and go buy a copy, too. I am sure your hubbie will understand - I hope so!

Chris

A very quick review: basic packaging. The DVD itself is very good - lots of information on style and focusing on shaping notes, phrases and tunes. I think it will be very helpful for me, because you do get quite deep into how Alistair plays and why he plays like he does. And, it's quite funny at times.

I have only watched it through once, without a concertina in hand. But, I don't regret buying it and I'm certain I will learn an enormous amount from it.

My only gripe is that there doesn't seem to be any music with the DVD. It would have been useful to at least have the dots for the tunes that are used.

• 2 weeks later...

My only gripe is that there doesn't seem to be any music with the DVD. It would have been useful to at least have the dots for the tunes that are used.

Yes, that's very frustrating.

Does anyone have an ABC of the first tune they work on, a Billy Pigg song called Little Jenny?

Thanks

I too just received the DVD and realized that there was no music notation included. Does anyone have music for the other tunes? I'm in Brewster, NY so not much access to this music unlike some of you folks across the big 'pond'. I believe the 2nd one is "Dumfries House"?, then Alistair's original tune "Juneau's Edge?". Luckily I do have 'The Merry Blacksmith'. By the way I did write to Alistair (replied almost immediately, nice fellow.) He is aware of the 'missing' music notation not included with the DVD and is quite sorry. Apparently, he has asked for the music notation from FolkAcademy before but so far no luck. Alistair wrote, "As soon as I can see what tunes are on there, I will scan in notation and e-mail you a copy and try to get them to issue it with the DVD or put it on their website." So hopefully we'll all receive some music shortly, I hope.

Does anyone have an ABC of the first tune they work on, a Billy Pigg song called Little Jenny?

PM'd - I don't know if Alistair plays two or four parts on the DVD but the fourth part owes much to Adrian Schofield's interpretation of the garbled recordings.

If you want more Billy Pigg tunes, try the Billy Pigg book:

http://www.northumbrianpipers.org.uk/index.php?page=Book-Store-One

A lot of them go well on (English) concertina since Billy used a lot of arpeggios but some of the third jumps can get a little mechanical.

Also take a look at the Old Drove Road - the same thematic structure gets re-used in at least 4 tunes.

cheers

Rob

Just wondering if any English system player has bought a copy of

this new tuition DVD English Concertina - Mastering the Art , with Alistair Anderson , and if so, what do they think of it?

Chris

Edited by StephenTx

Just wondering if any English system player has bought a copy of

this

new tuition DVD English Concertina - Mastering the Art , with Alistair Anderson , and if so, what do they think of it?

Odd... It's apparently produced by FolkAcademy as one of a series, yet I find no details about it on their web site, though their "Purchase" tab leads to The Music Room, where one can learn a wee bit more by clicking on the link for that product.

FolkAcademy seems to be a trading name of The Music Room.

The DVD was filmed at The Music Room in Cleckheaton and is sold by them. I had a invitation to the filming but failed to get there. The weather was bad. Vicki Elliott, the pupil in the masterclass, only just made it.

It is presented in masterclass format, one teacher, one pupil and a live audience. I do not think you get to see the audience. I have not had time to view the whole thing, just dipped into sections. It looks very much like a typical Alistair Anderson tutorial: working on bringing out the best in a tune. As he says, "this is the way I play it today. Try it and see if you like it. You might prefer a different way to play the tune. I may play it differently tomorrow".

This is not a DVD to teach you from scratch how to play English concertina. It assumes that you can play and want to play better.

The packaging is fairly minimal. The DVD itself is almost plain, but it is a double-sided DVD wih PAL on one side and NTSC on the other, which does not leave much room for the label.

Now the good news. If you are a member of the International Concertina Association, you can get a discount on the price. Sorry if this comes too late but we only fixed the details yesterday. If you ring up the Music Room, tell them you are an ICA member. If you use their website, you need a code. This will appear in the next Concertina World but, if you cannot wait, contact me.

• 2 weeks later...

I too just received the DVD and realized that there was no music notation included. Does anyone have music for the other tunes? I'm in Brewster, NY so not much access to this music unlike some of you folks across the big 'pond'. I believe the 2nd one is "Dumfries House"?, then Alistair's original tune "Juneau's Edge?". Luckily I do have 'The Merry Blacksmith'. By the way I did write to Alistair (replied almost immediately, nice fellow.) He is aware of the 'missing' music notation not included with the DVD and is quite sorry. Apparently, he has asked for the music notation from FolkAcademy before but so far no luck. Alistair wrote, "As soon as I can see what tunes are on there, I will scan in notation and e-mail you a copy and try to get them to issue it with the DVD or put it on their website." So hopefully we'll all receive some music shortly, I hope.

It would be great if we could all have that. I haven't bought the dvd yet but was considering it, now will definitely get it. Am a complete beginner; anyone recommned something more basic?