Something New

...a very recently made concertina. It is rosewood, but has brown bellows. Please visit my blog and give me your opinion on them.

I think it looks great. Beautiful color match.

With that wood, even nicer than black bellows, IMO.

Disclosure: My bass English Aeola has redder (Brazilian?) rosewood ends and burgundy-red bellows that I like very much. :)

Frank, I always love seeing your new instruments, but would I be alone in saying I'd be quite keen on hearing recordings or seeing videos of each as they come out? Surely it would be of interest to many to be able to compare the tonal qualities, such as they are, of your various wood and metal ends, handle and strap setups, etc...

That said, a beautiful instrument, as always!

--Dan

Once you move away from "Black to Black" it can be difficult to match colours. The Brown of your Bellows is very nice indeed but is it 'close but not close enough' to the Rosewood? It is not easy to tell from the photographs. A contrasting colour might be easier, I have a metal ended Wheatstone with Rosewood sides and a Green Bellows which, at first, I was not sure about but I loved the instrument and have since got used to the 'funny' colour.

Having said that, there are some Dippers out there with strange Bellows colours like Bright Blue!

Now how about some Brown Keys too ?

Lovely Job Frank!!

Geoff.

I have posted some pictures on my blog http://edgleyconcertinas.blogspot.com of a very recently made concertina. It is rosewood, but has brown bellows. Please visit my blog and give me your opinion on them. Thanks.

Lovely. And timely; as I get ready to order another bellows, I'm wondering how maroon would look on a metal ended black instrument.

Frank, I always love seeing your new instruments, but would I be alone in saying I'd be quite keen on hearing recordings or seeing videos of each as they come out? Surely it would be of interest to many to be able to compare the tonal qualities, such as they are, of your various wood and metal ends, handle and strap setups, etc...

That said, a beautiful instrument, as always!

--Dan

Yes, it would. But I am having enough difficulty just taking and posting the pictures of the instruments. The light has to be just right, and my daughter (an art graduate) insists that they are properly cropped, lighting is right etc. Getting sound samples with me playing on a video would add to my already busy schedule. The actual sound differences between woods are subtle and may not show up adequately on the internet without studio time, good mikes etc, and that puts it right out of reach as far as time and money are concerned. There is the video of Asher Perkins on my website www.concertinas.ca , and while it is an older one of my instruments, and not my current design top model, you can certainly hear the sound potential in terms of speed and clarity of tone. This particular video was not made with the assistance of high tech sound equipment, nor has it been "tweaked" to make it sound better than it was. It was taken with a rather modest digital hand-held camera. If Asher can play one of my instruments at that level of performance it should satisfy anyone seeking a concertina that he/she will not outgrow. That video clip is a few years old now and Asher has not moved "up" to any other instrument! No need.

Once you move away from "Black to Black" it can be difficult to match colours. The Brown of your Bellows is very nice indeed but is it 'close but not close enough' to the Rosewood? It is not easy to tell from the photographs. A contrasting colour might be easier, I have a metal ended Wheatstone with Rosewood sides and a Green Bellows which, at first, I was not sure about but I loved the instrument and have since got used to the 'funny' colour.

Having said that, there are some Dippers out there with strange Bellows colours like Bright Blue!

Now how about some Brown Keys too ?

Lovely Job Frank!!

Geoff.

Thanks, Geoff. It is not easy matching the colour of leather to the natural colour of the wood, but there it is. It was about as close as I could get it. There is the cost factor when considering too many options. It would be different if I were charging what some makers charge, but my costs are just too close to the bone to get into that many options. I appreciate your opinion, though. Thanks.

I have posted some pictures on my blog http://edgleyconcertinas.blogspot.com of a very recently made concertina. It is rosewood, but has brown bellows. Please visit my blog and give me your opinion on them. Thanks.

Lovely. And timely; as I get ready to order another bellows, I'm wondering how maroon would look on a metal ended black instrument.

Probably stunning! Especially if the concertina had a matching trim.....maybe ebony with purpleheart trim, or maybe bloodwood?