Richard Evans On The Radio

Did anyone else hear Richard Evans being interviewed and playing the concer on ABC radio (Australia) on Saturday night?

The program was "Music Deli", and it was an excellent interview.

He also played several tunes to illustrate his points. I really liked one of the later tunes, which I suspect he played on the duet.

I was in the car at the time, and didn't know about it beforehand, so didn't record it.

Just wondered if anyone else did.

I guess you can still hear the interview at: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/music/deli/

Edited 20 minutes later to let you know that the I listened to the interview in the meantime. It's really worthwile listening too. Nice playing and back-ground info and last but not least: Richard is really a nice guy!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

I really liked one of the later tunes, which I suspect he played on the duet.

If I'm thinking of the same tune, it really was a nice piece and and very nice playing.

I'd like to know more -- name of the tune, where to get a copy if that is possible, was it really a duet and if so what kind?

Kurt

He confirmed to me a couple of days ago it was a duet. The interview was recorded quite a few years ago and a programme was put to air back then. This one was created from the same material but using different bits. Richard has not yet heard it himself as he is having computer problems. He is coming to my place tomorrow and I will play it to him and maybe then he will answer your question about the tune.

His Duet is a Wheatstone Macann.

Chris

He also played several tunes to illustrate his points. I really liked one of the later tunes, which I suspect he played on the duet.

The last tune Richard played was called Downfall of the Ginn. Brian Peters plays a similar version on an Anglo, on his Squeezing Out Sparks cd

Richard clarified the story after he heard the programme today. The only playing by him was the demonstration of the 20 key Anglo. There were several bursts of a free reed instrument with accompaniment as fillers between the bouts of talking, we were not completely sure it was not a single reed accordion, and Richard suspected this was the work of a respected local musician called Dave de Hugard. The piece that was suspected to be a duet piece wasn't Richard either, he had not heard it before, and he thought it may be an English. So to the person who thought they had heard a similar arrangement somewhere, it was probably the very same one!

The person who put the programme together must have been scraping bits up from everywhere without a lot of attention to detail.

Chris