Concertina Low Note Tones

I will take a stab at this, despite not knowing what I am talking about.

I think that what you're describing is normal. At least, I notice the same thing on the lowest notes of my (accordion-reeded) baritone English concertina. For me, the "fluttering" or "whirring" sound is most noticeable for a fraction of a second after I stop sounding the note (because while I'm sounding the note, the main sound I hear is, well, the sound of the note).

I believe that what you're hearing is the sound of the reed itself swinging back and forth. The sound of a concertina is made not by the reed, but by the air flowing over it, but the reed itself can also make a sound. And since the reed doesn't stop moving the instant the air flow is cut off, the sound of the reed can continue beyond the sound of the note.

Can anyone wiser or more experienced confirm or correct me here?

I am very new to the concertina world. I have a 20 key G/D box and

while playing have one issue. While I am pushing or pulling- 3 of the

low note keys individually, I hear a faint hum or vibration while the

note is being sounded. Is this normal on the low notes?

thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce, it may be that there is a bit of contact between the reed and the reed frame, which would give a buzz. Or maybe some accumulation of dirt or rust on the edge of the reed or frame. If you have or can get the "Bible" by Dave Elliott it will tell you how to clean reeds.

Andy.

I am very new to the concertina world. I have a 20 key G/D box and

while playing have one issue. While I am pushing or pulling- 3 of the

low note keys individually, I hear a faint hum or vibration while the

note is being sounded. Is this normal on the low notes?

thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce, it may be that there is a bit of contact between the reed and the reed frame, which would give a buzz. Or maybe some accumulation of dirt or rust on the edge of the reed or frame. If you have or can get the "Bible" by Dave Elliott it will tell you how to clean reeds.

Andy.

It may help if you could tell us more about your instrument. Is it a newly made box, like a Stagi? Or an older German-made box, like a Scholer? Or an older English-made box, like a Lachenal? Dave Elliott's Concertina Maintenance Manual is mostly about English-made concertinas, so it will be of limited use if that's not what you have.

It may help if you could tell us more about your instrument. Is it a newly made box, like a Stagi? Or an older German-made box, like a Scholer? Or an older English-made box, like a Lachenal? Dave Elliott's Concertina Maintenance Manual is mostly about English-made concertinas, so it will be of limited use if that's not what you have.

It is likely that the Valves on these lowest notes are creating the vibrations that you are hearing. The G/D Anglo has some quite low notes with,consequently, long reeds that need long valves etc etc.

When you say "double reed" Bruce, you mean it has two reeds per note ? If so then perhaps the two reeds are tuned with a little Tremolo which could cause some rumblings on the lowest notes.