Am I looking in the right places ?

new english

Hi thanks for all the suggestion on buying a fix-er-upper duet Mcann concertina

And I did feel very confident from all the comments about how easy they are to acquire ,but I have trawled eBay all known auction houses emailed 99.9 % of the concertina playing world LOL and I cannot find a single duet concertina for repair /restoration !!!!!!!!! fix-er-upper Anglo and English concertinas seem to in abundance and I did consider buying one just as an introduction to the mechanics but i,m actally starting to understand the layout so I think it would be counter productive

am I looking in the right places ?

Tony

am I looking in the right places ?

Yes, but you will need to keep looking for some time to find a duet fixer-upper. Only a tiny number were made compared with English and Anglo.

I have a 39 key Lachenal Maccann I can send you details of if you are interested in one with that few keys.

The quantity of serious concertinas for sale on ebay tends to be rather smaller in Jan, as people plausibly assume there is less money around at this time of year, and prices will be weaker. Things should pick up again as we head towards spring. I would say perhaps 46-key Maccanns turn up very roughly around about once a month on ebay, but plainly sometimes you have to wait a bit longer. About half of them will need some material restoration. Just before Christmas, there were two for sale at the same time, though both were probably in better condition than you are looking for.

Hi thanks theo I spoke to my competent concertina playing friend last night and he suggested that I really need a minimum of 46 to be comparable with the 46 wheaststone I have and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its hard enough for me ,getting used to the button layout and amount of buttons without missing 7 of them LOL he said the layout on the 46 and above is the same so I could at best ,learn the additional fingerings or at worst deactivate any (shall we say) confusion additions LOL

thanks

tony

That seem like very good advice. I didn't know you had already started with a 46 key. You may have to prepare yourself for what could be a long wait for the right instrument to appear, but it is better to wait for the right one than to take something less than ideal just because it is there.