Faux leather for gusset

Greetings from a newbie. I am looking to find an animal-free substitute for goat skin. I need it for the bellows gusset of a free-reed instrument. Has anyone had any experience with using synthetic materials for this purpose? Kind regards from the UK.

I've some experience of non-leather gussets all of it bad I'm afraid (I'm a full time repairer). The combination of air tightness, flexibility, ability to be glued, ability to be skived and of course durability, is something I've not found a synthetic material can get near.

Greetings from a newbie. I am looking to find an animal-free substitute for goat skin. I need it for the bellows gusset of a free-reed instrument. Has anyone had any experience with using synthetic materials for this purpose? Kind regards from the UK.

Interesting point. I've been toying with the idea of constructing a "Vegan Concertina". I'm guessing that a lot of folk musicians might be committed veggies!

Andy.

Hmmm. perhaps I just invented the cheap Chinese Concertina! Not much leather in them. :)