Tim Collins' New Cd

Tim Collins send me one of his new CDs a week or so ago and asked me to write a short review on it. However, I have been inundated with things that "just HAD to be done" and I am going out of town for a few weeks and haven't had the time to write anything down about any of the specific tracks. I've listened to it over and over, however and I can give some general impressions:

One of the great things about the anglo concertina is the fact that there are so many ways to play it. All the great players have their own style, albeit influenced by others before them. Tim has a very dynamic style with cuts, rolls, chords etcetera, but done in such a way as to add to the feel of the music and not to interfere with the melody. Especially impressive is his use of what he calls the "slap roll". When you get a copy of his CD (and you really should) listen for it. It is consistently and clearly executed with precision. It's a bit hard to decribe, but is a series of gracenotes coming from the concertina with "machine gun-like" rapidity. It's very impressive, but not overdone.

This recording has been very thoughtfully planned so that there is variety to the tracks in tune selection and instrumentation. On of my favourites is a track with Concertina and bodhrain. Usually, I'm not the biggest fan of the bodhrain, as it sometime shows up in twos and three at sessions and is pounded away on mercilessly on every tune (yes, even airs). BUT THIS, is masterfully done with taste, brilliant use of dynamics and variation. Every track on this CD is a keeper!

With this CD, Tim Collins has established himself to a wider audience as a master of the Irish concertina---one of the names to remember. When discussing significant concertina players and their styles, Tim Collins will surely be discussed as one of the greats.

Tim didn't give me specific ordering info, but I think his CD will be available from the usual sources. :D

I've had this CD for a couple of days, and here are my thoughts/impressions:

Tim's style comes across as very "friendly and accessible", and is very easy on the ear. The opening track of three jigs (Kit O'Mahony/Padin O Raifearta/Neary's) is very upbeat and infectious so don't be surprised if you find yourself swaying along :D

My two favourite tracks are "Dan Curtin's/Bridgie Con Matts/The H Note (Slides)" which has some great simple bodhran accompaniment which enchances the tune but is certainly not overpowering, and the beautiful air "Ni Ar Chnoc Na Ar Isleacht", which is just gorgeous.

I am the sort of person who rather than playing a CD back to back tends to play particular tunes depending on my mood (don't you just love technology :P) and this CD certainly has something to listen to no matter how I'm feeling.

For what it's worth, I would definitely recommend this CD :D

Cheers

Morgana

• 3 weeks later...

Tim's new album has indeed been a huge success here. If you have a collection of concertina albums, it's worth making some comparisions , generally speaking, as every player has their own style. Tim has a way of reaching all listeners of trad. His appeal is to young and old alike. There is a very definite west limerick influence in his music which is completely natural to him and he has managed the technical greatness of genuine music delivery, for the want of a better expression.

I agree that the badhran track is a good one, but bear in mind the bodhran player is in fact a one time all-ireland champ, Kevin Murphy.

Tim's is enjoying great success with his debut album,

here's to the next!!

I can't wait to get my copy of the CD... ordered it from Ireland and they sent it registered mail... so I have to go to the Post Office to pick it up.. which means earliest I can get it is Friday (If I can get out of work reasonably early tomorrow)

:(.

Well I got the CD on Saturday and got a chance to listen to it on Sunday, I want to add my endorsement of this CD. I certainly don't know as much about good concertina music as Frank Edgley, but I know what I like and I definitely like this CD. If you haven't ordered this CD yet, do ;)

--

Bill

Just to encourage people to get this must-have cd and convince them its worth practising some of his stuff, a tune or three are in the tunatron. Get them up to speed then add some of his tricks (that will keep you going until Christmas).