Amboyna Aeola

Geoff Wooff

Nice looking Wheatstone 64key Tennor Treble Aeola with Amboyna ends and Gilt fittings ! On Ebay.uk today.

Any thoughts ? Anyone know this Vendor from Portugal ?

Geoff.

You mean this one here?

According to the ledgers, it is a model 19A, a 64 key extended tenor-treble. It looks very nice. It could sell for up to £4000. No idea who the vendor is, though.

Chris

Hmmm... auction just finnished at £5200 !!

Interestingly the 2nd place bidder entered a maximum of £5100, so the winner at £5200 was obviously prepared to pay more than this since £100 is the bid increment.

Interestingly the 2nd place bidder entered a maximum of £5100, so the winner at £5200 was obviously prepared to pay more than this since £100 is the bid increment.

Could have been "more", but we can only be sure that he was willing to pay at least £5200. Unless he's willing to tell us what his limit actually was.

oh my goodness.....that was pure pain to watch :(

You skeptic! It just goes to prove you can play radical Jazz even on an Amboyna :lol:

The pleasure is in the pain.

What did the English masochist say to the Anglo-German sadist?

Hit me! pleeeze!, hit me!

and the Sadist said

No! Noooooo! Nooooooo!

Thanks for the youtube link, Dick.

Oh my! 5000GBP to buy. Perhaps 1000GBP VAT. Customs duty? 500GbP to tune and refurbish properly. (I'd charge a couple of hundered quid just to "remove" the notes played in the demo :P ) Some margin added for profit....

Will this concertina eventually sell for 7000GBP?!! :blink:

Chris has more money and courage than most.

Greg

Hi All,

I don't think the one in that awful video is the same instrument -- unless there have been some repairs since. Look at the video -- if you can stand it again -- and you'll see there's a piece of missing veneer on one of the eight sides. But there's no missing veneer on the eBay one just sold.

Maybe, just maybe, that lovely and ridiculously expensive concertina wasn't subjected to that YouTube humiliation. One can only hope.

Ross Schlabach

I don't think the one in that awful video is the same instrument -- unless there have been some repairs since. Look at the video -- if you can stand it again -- and you'll see there's a piece of missing veneer on one of the eight sides. But there's no missing veneer on the eBay one just sold.

Oh?

I don't believe that particular edge -- the bottom side of the RH end -- is visible in any of the eBay photos. In any case, I have reason to believe the video was taken to answer a question from a potential bidder, and so is later than the eBay photos. A piece of veneer could have come loose in between.

By the way, there are two other videos. I'm in a hurry now, but I'll try to dig out the links and post them later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

P.S. No, I wasn't one of the bidders. Would have been, though, if I'd had cash enough to compete. :(

Edited by JimLucas

Hi All,

Maybe, just maybe, that lovely and ridiculously expensive concertina wasn't subjected to that YouTube humiliation. One can only hope.

Ross Schlabach

Ross,

Half way through, perhaps more toward the end of that infernal youtube honking there are close up videos of both sides of the concertina.

The serial # is 26050 which is the same as the ebay listing. I think it is safe to say it is the same instrument.

There is also at least one other youtube clip of the internals of this instrument.

My impression of the ebay representation is quite abit different than the wear and tear I noticed in the video. There is a lesson here somewhere. :blink: But I, for one, always seem to have trouble learning it. B)

Greg

I prowled around his feedback, and the seller's previous transactions are mostly as a buyer, and even then he seems to buy low priced items (a ton of replacement batteries for cameras). It would take more courage than I have to hit the "SEND" button and see that much money leave my bank account on it's way to the middle of nowhere in Portugal.

The odds are it will be a perfectly fine transaction, but I would still be booking on Ryanair and packing my bag to go pay for it and pick it up in person if I were the high bidder.

(Actually, I'm not the high bidder, but a long weekend in Portugal sounds like a good plan anyway)

the link to the longer version of the YouTube video featuring the concertina.

Chris

More ! Mooore ! Moooorre! :angry: :angry:

But Drinkwater cackles and says:

No! Nooooo! Nooooo..............! :P :P

And anyway - none of you are any good at identifying what this pain machine really is. It is from the Tower of London dungeons and is known as a "thumb screw".

Edited by Kautilya