Anglo Concertina fingering tips

Orm

Hello

I've just recently received a new Frank Edgley concertina (bocote one, mentioned in this topic by Frank)

First of all, i must say - it's a very nice instrument, very playable and it looks awesome, thank you Frank!

And, to the subject of this topic.

I've read many materials about cross row playing, i've ordered a couple of books

And i've already managed to learn a couple of tunes on it.

But, is there any simple principles and tips about which button to use?

For now i've found that i should not change bellows on each note, but it's better if i change it about every 3-6 note.

Also, from this tutor i've got one important thing - i need to avoid to use the same finger to hit two buttons one after the other.

Anything else you can advice to novice?

Edited by Orm

Forgot to mention, that my main interest is Irish Trad Music

I'm currently watching video of Edel Fox

Great music, and it looks like she played whole set with bellows about 1/4 - 1/3 extended, never too narrow or too wide.

Check out the thread I started on Default Cross Row Fingering recently - The replies provide very helpful information which I was able to put to good use. You also may wish to check out the Concertina Foundations Video lessons on the Online Academy of Irish Music again very helpful with fingerings explained.

Orm,

If you are seriously interested in Irish Trad and located in North America I would recommend trying to attend one of Noel Hill's camps. Noel's approach is not the only way to play Irish music on the concertina but it is a product of his 40+ years of exploration and playing of the anglo. The camps feature 4-5 days of total concertina immersion, meeting lots of concertina players and their instruments and getting to know one of the masters of Irish Trad and his approach to the music.

There are also a number of opportunities throughout the year to travel and spend a weekend with concertina experts. The Southeast Tionol is coming up this early March in Atlanta and St. Louis has a celtic gathering in April. Both usually feature Irish Trad concertina instruction. Irish Arts Week in the Catskills in July is another good opportunity. I'm sure other cnet members can suggest other possibilities in other parts of the country.

The books and method descriptions can be helpful starters but there is nothing like having an accomplished player sharing their knowledge in a small group setting to instruct, inspire and set your playing and determination on fire.

Best of concetrtina adventures!

Greg

Orm,

If you are seriously interested in Irish Trad and located in North America I would recommend trying to attend one of Noel Hill's camps. Noel's approach is not the only way to play Irish music on the concertina but it is a product of his 40+ years of exploration and playing of the anglo. The camps feature 4-5 days of total concertina immersion, meeting lots of concertina players and their instruments and getting to know one of the masters of Irish Trad and his approach to the music.

There are also a number of opportunities throughout the year to travel and spend a weekend with concertina experts. The Southeast Tionol is coming up this early March in Atlanta and St. Louis has a celtic gathering in April. Both usually feature Irish Trad concertina instruction. Irish Arts Week in the Catskills in July is another good opportunity. I'm sure other cnet members can suggest other possibilities in other parts of the country.

The books and method descriptions can be helpful starters but there is nothing like having an accomplished player sharing their knowledge in a small group setting to instruct, inspire and set your playing and determination on fire.

Best of concetrtina adventures!

Greg

i agree with greg that books can only go far, especially for such an instrument as the anglo concertina. i have attended noel's camp 7 times and can honestly say that i wouldn't still be playing today if it weren't for all that i learned at noel's camps. if you are interested, here is a video of me playing. every fingering in the video, including ornamentation and chords, is something i have learned directly or indirectly from noel, even though i never heard him play these tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NXCYUtpQ8&list=UUa0h16oMztvi6KcVUpGDzDg&index=2&feature=plcp

i also second greg's recommendation to learn from as many players as possible. i have sought out many perspectives over the years and have learned a lot from every one that i have sought out. we are so lucky in irish music to have so many accessible and talented players. so, even as you plow through ahead in your books, make sure to go out into the world and take advantage of opportunities that are available for an instrument that not so long ago was so rare in america and even in ireland.

Very nice David! Two very talented players!

thanks, but i can only really take credit for the mistakes, :lol: because i'm really just piggy-backing off my friend in the video. i liken it to waterskiing: if you can stand up in the water, the boat does all the work you.

Thank you for such a useful advices

I'm not in North America, i'm in Russia, Moscow, and there is not so much concertina players around. In fact, there is just one concertinist here, he's helped me a lot when i've decided to buy concertina.

Now i'm thinking about attending Noel Hill school in Ireland, and i've also ordered some books.

And i also can say - for now i absolutely love this instrument! i play harmonica and guitar at our Moscow session, but concertina looks much more useful for irish music (i still a not very good guitar backup player and harmonica has a certain limitation in irish trad)

i would say that if you are isolated thousands of miles away from professional level players that attending noel's irish camp would be the way to go! it will change your playing forever and open your eyes to what the instrument is capable of. a week of concertina lessons with noel twice a day is worth about a year once a week with someone else.

Thank you for such a useful advices

I'm not in North America, i'm in Russia, Moscow, and there is not so much concertina players around. In fact, there is just one concertinist here, he's helped me a lot when i've decided to buy concertina.

Now i'm thinking about attending Noel Hill school in Ireland, and i've also ordered some books.

And i also can say - for now i absolutely love this instrument! i play harmonica and guitar at our Moscow session, but concertina looks much more useful for irish music (i still a not very good guitar backup player and harmonica has a certain limitation in irish trad)

Wonderful! Do your best to get to Noel's Irish camp. It will supercharge your playing.

Best,

Greg

I am really keen to try to go to the February Master class advertised on this site. Just need to work out total costs for travel, acomodation and food. No booze nowadays so that's a saving in Ireland B) !

you're in for a treat! i know you've been hoping to learn from noel for a while. stop eating vegetables, too, if it can help make the difference. that's how i afforded my trip to ireland from the states last year, :lol: