Another newbie

Womble

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me in.

My name's Karen and I've just acquired an English concertina from eBay and have already been torturing it. I've played fiddle for 27 years, but I borrowed a concertina from a friend last year and rather liked it, so I decided it was about time I got one of my own.

I've absolutely no idea who the manufacturer of my box is, but the fretwork is identical to the one in the picture Theo posted here in 2004. It's not the same instrument though, because the grain on the wood is different, the black buttons have retained most of their colour, and the buttons on mine have red bushes. There's no label on it and I've not plucked up the courage to take an end off yet. I'd rather do that under supervision. One of the reeds buzzes slightly and sounds a bit like a party blower, but other than that and a couple of 'breathy' notes, it seems fine.

Anyway, I'll keep practicing and try not to annoy the neighbours too much.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Well, last night I finally took the plunge and took the ends off. I know to some of you, this is everyday stuff, but to me it was a little nerve-wracking, as I wasn't entirely sure what was in there.

Anyway, there is a maker's name inside - "R.J. Ward and Sons, Musical Instrument Makers, Liverpool" and the number 568 is stamped on both sides of the action board.

It's in good condition and looks to have had some recent refurbishment. All of the pads and valves appear to be in good order, but one of the reeds, the low F# has a mark on it, as though the end has been bent, which would probably explain the strange warbling sound it makes.

Having done a brief Google search, I'm not really much the wiser. I'll keep looking!

post-9758-0-20769100-1328790218_thumb.jpg

post-9758-0-80948900-1328790230_thumb.jpg

Wombie,

Brave man! My understanding is that it was pretty common for local instrument stores to have the big manufacturers apply their specialized labels -- sort of like their own "imprint." That's probably what you're seeing here.

I'm certain that one of the resident gurus will pipe up and identify the instrument from the fretwork and the action.

Have fun with it,

Brian

Hi

I had a rummage thru' my picture files and found a series of pictures of 568 (possibly from another seller or ebay or maybe this site?). The end fretwork looks like a Joseph Scates concertina but the action looks like early George Case.

Joseph Scates sold his business to George Case in 1849 - given that it has features of both - it may have been just after the sale 1849/50ish.

there is more info on my site about both makers (www.scatesconcertinas.com or click on the 'my website' at the foot of this page)

hope this helps

chris

Just a rare raising of my head above the parapet - I was there last night with Womble as owner of the impact driver when we stripped the concerina down. The prescence of the label secreted away so deeply inside the concertina puzzles me - could it be there because it has been through Ward's hands for repair/tuning rather than it from it's original supply?

Mike

it shouldn't need an impact driver to undo the endsohmy.gif

A lot of concertina makers put their names on a small paper label in a cartouche in on end of the concertina - they often disappear, thus needing other methods of identification. So it's possible that there was a label a some point that said 'RJ Ward' or it may have had a label that said 'George Case late Joseph Scates' or it maybe, as Mike suggests -Ward did some repairs and left his label at that point.. The original label may have been removed deliberately to suggest a different maker ie Wheatstone (the fretwork is similar to a Wheatstone which would have been thought to be worth more than an RJ Ward or even a George Case)

What ever its history, it should still be an ok concertina

chris