Concertinas at auction

spindizzy

There are some pics; you find the word 'images' and it's a link. They don't seem to have much of a clue. Have a look at the 'Walnut' 'English' one, then look at the duet. It's either a misnamed big Anglo or something odd. It's not a Crane or Maccan. I didn't look at the others. I assume they can at least read a label and Jeffries hold no interest for me, but I expect they won't bear scrutiny either!

They don't seem to have much of a clue. Have a look at the 'Walnut' 'English' one,...

"English" made, perhaps? Looks like a typical 20-button anglo.

...then look at the duet. It's either a misnamed big Anglo or something odd. It's not a Crane or Maccan.

I'd guess a monster anglo. Check out this thread from 2 years ago. But I wouldn't rule out a special duet system, since there have been quite a few over the years, from my own Pitt-Taylor (one of several designs by him) to C.net member aeolina's "piano" system.

In any case, Geoff Crabb should have the details among his records. I hope he'll end our speculating. And he noted (in the first linked thread above) that Crabb No.18427 was from 1973. The one for auction is Crabb 18298, so maybe from the 1960's?

I didn't look at the others. I assume they can at least read a label and Jeffries hold no interest for me....

Well, the two Jeffries look to me like nice instruments, of course depending on condition internally. But why do they only show the right-hand end of each. I'd assume the 38-button is an anglo, since I don't remember any references to Jeffries duets with that few buttons. The other looks like a 50-button layout, which could be an anglo, but is more likely a duet.

And he noted (in the first linked thread above) that Crabb No.18427 was from 1973. The one for auction is Crabb 18298, so maybe from the 1960's?

If it's that recent I suppose it could just be a Hayden? That really would be different.

There are some pics; you find the word 'images' and it's a link. They don't seem to have much of a clue. Have a look at the 'Walnut' 'English' one, then look at the duet. It's either a misnamed big Anglo or something odd. It's not a Crane or Maccan. I didn't look at the others. I assume they can at least read a label and Jeffries hold no interest for me, but I expect they won't bear scrutiny either!

They must have put pictures up after I looked - I see pictures of the first 3 now in the link that I gave.

In reply to my inquiry if these instruments are bisonoric or unisonoric –

From the source:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Lot 1450 is unisonoric as in it plays the same either way, Lot 1457 is also unisonoric.

Kind Regards,

Stacey's

Be Well,

Dan

Crabb 18298 = Jeffries Duet, made January 1970.

Very
interesting.

Many thanks.

Yes, quite interesting!

And if my count is correct, 58 buttons -- 28 on the left and 30 on the right, -- plus the air button.

With an 8-fold bellows, and if the button spacing is the same as on my Jeffries anglos, roughly 8 inches or slightly more (21 cm) across the flats?

In reply to my inquiry if these instruments are bisonoric or unisonoric –

From the source:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Lot 1450 is unisonoric as in it plays the same either way, Lot 1457 is also unisonoric.

Kind Regards,

Stacey's

So what about Lot 1352, the 38-button Jeffries? I've assumed that it's an anglo, but could it also be a duet, albeit a "minimal" one?

Edited by JimLucas

Jim,

RE: So what about Lot 1352, the 38-button Jeffries? I've assumed that it's an anglo, but could it also be a duet, albeit a "minimal" one?

I did not even think to include that one in my inquiry as there didn't seem to be the same level of "uncertain curiosity" expressed about it.

Did anyone else inquire?

Be Well,

Dan

All,

Is anyone here contemplating or planning to bid on the Crabb?

Though it's not a Crane layout, Rod certainly comes to mind.

I'm considering it, but my interest is casual - converting it to a Stark chromatiphone layout - though I'm not truly certain if I want to take that on at this very moment.

And I do not want to run the price up if someone else earnestly desires to have it.

Please comment here or PM me if you prefer, and I shall refrain.

Be Well,

Dan

Edited by danersen

And if my count is correct, 58 buttons -- 28 on the left and 30 on the right, -- plus the air button.

With an 8-fold bellows, and if the button spacing is the same as on my Jeffries anglos, roughly 8 inches or slightly more (21 cm) across the flats?

Jim, From actual plan, 8 inches dead. Slight position variation of two buttons, right side as requested when made.

Geoff

Glad to here that it possibly won't be 'converted' as the larger 'Jeffries Duets', especially Crabb built ones, are quite scarce these days and contrary to belief, from reports, really are no harder to learn from scratch than other Duets.

Geoff

Well somebody got some bargains!

The hammer prices were:

39 key Jeffries - £3,000

20 key Lachenal - didn't seem to sell

Crabb 'Jeffries' Duet £400

C Jeffries Duet - £1500

Giving full costs to the buyers of £3,576, £0, £477 and £1,788 respectively

Relatively cheap for a Jeffries anglo, astonshingly cheap for the Crabb and close to top whack for the Jeffries duet?

Alex West