Wheatstone Concertina for sale

dshep

Just undo the six screws round the edge and the end will lift off. Don't touch the smaller screws inside the thumbstrap and on the finger rest.

I took off the screws but it's not lifting. Something, it feels like under the thumb strap, is holding it down. I'm really reluctant to go further but may ask a friend of mine who repairs instruments to take a look.

shep

Just undo the six screws round the edge and the end will lift off. Don't touch the smaller screws inside the thumbstrap and on the finger rest.

In any case your previous post seems to render the question moot. It has 48 keys and so must have concertina reeds.

In any case your previous post seems to render the question moot. It has 48 keys and so must have concertina reeds.

That's likely, but not 100% definite. And even if they are concertina reeds, there are two levels of concertina reed quality in post-WW2 Wheatstones; traditional/dovetailed (more desirable) and crimped/screwed-down. A pic would still be helpful.

FYI, there's a rather similar Wheatstone Anglo on eBay at the moment, being sold by c.net member Ben.

That's likely, but not 100% definite. And even if they are concertina reeds, there are two levels of concertina reed quality in post-WW2 Wheatstones; traditional/dovetailed (more desirable) and crimped/screwed-down. A pic would still be helpful.

FYI, there's a rather similar Wheatstone Anglo on eBay at the moment, being sold by c.net member Ben.

Thank you. Very helpful. I'll do my best today to get pictures and more info.

pictures and video are now here: http://www.ezraschartbooks.com/ectfiles/concertina.html

pictures and video are now here: http://www.ezraschar...concertina.html

I couldn't get the video to play, but the pictures are helpful. Those are traditional dovetailed reeds (the better type of concertina reeds). And the ledgers give an exact date (I think it's a manufacture date, but I suppose it might be a sale date) of November 24, 1954,

pictures and video are now here: http://www.ezraschar...concertina.html

I couldn't get the video to play, but the pictures are helpful. Those are traditional dovetailed reeds (the better type of concertina reeds). And the ledgers give an exact date (I think it's a manufacture date, but I suppose it might be a sale date) of November 24, 1954,

The video is fixed. sorry about that.

• 9 years later...

I also play mandolin and Gibson is perhaps the most famous maker. Gibson also went through a low quality period from late 50's into the early 80's, largely due to the dominance of the guitar and low demand for mandolins. That has all changed in the last 40 years with a good number of quality hand-built instruments available now.