Calling any Suttner owners in SW England

Mike C

Hi

Before I sort out my order for a Suttner anglo, I was wondering if there was any kind Suttner owners in or near to the southwest of England, who wouldn't mind letting me have a quick play on their instrument? I'm thinking of either a A2 30 key or a A4 38 key, with metal or ebony ends, so if anyone has something along those lines that would be great. I don't mind travelling to meet up, etc.

If there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind helping me out, then please send me a private message.

Many thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike C

Mike, I'm not in England, but I can offer a suggestion. Several years ago I got a 38 button ebony ended A4 from Jurgen. It was beautiful but very heavy. So unless weight is not an issue for you, I would suggest you stick with the 30 button models. I would also pass on ebony for the same reason and its tendency to crack.

Best regards and good luck with your decision,

Ross Schlabach

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, it's all down to personal preference, but I heard a metal ended Suttner recently, which to my ears at least, sounded just a little on the shrill side, compared to my raised Ebony ended 31key model.

When given a choice, I'd tend to go for the warmth of a wooden ended instrument & by the way, my Suttner has plenty of poke in a session / noisy pub environment.

As for weight, I haven't actually played a 38 key Suttner, but I really don't have any problem & hardly notice the difference, when shifting from my 38key to my 30key Jeffries, so I'd be rather surprised if the same didn't apply to Suttner's instruments.

Cheers,

Dick

I received mine in December., ordered 49 months earlier. Mine is consistent with the two I mentioned from Miltown Malbay. I guess in short, the newest Suttners I have played are light, even on a 38 key. All have been solid ebony ended, and all have been great. Mine is still being broken in, or maybe I should say I am becoming more comfortable with the button spacing compared to my antique 38 key. All of the Suttner concertinas I mention are very light, and if I remember to do so I will weigh it and post.

If I need to burn it, I will gladly sell first. Not much chance of a sale though. I remember about two months for the Bb/ F Suttner before I felt like I was ready for the public. Airtight bellows vs old leaky taking me time. I was using my air button a lot, and now getting used to the phrasing without relying on it. The new instrument also has better placement for handrests compared to all my other instruments. Jüergen has hollowed out in the style of an arch on it. I like it very much.

I remember about two months for the Bb/ F Suttner before I felt like I was ready for the public. Airtight bellows vs old leaky taking me time. I was using my air button a lot, and now getting used to the phrasing without relying on it. The new instrument also has better placement for handrests compared to all my other instruments. Jüergen has hollowed out in the style of an arch on it. I like it very much.

Well my own Jeffries Bb/F is one of the easiest to play Concertinas, I've ever had, but of course she has only 6 fold bellows. So when I picked up my 2009 Suttner, just recently, I was delighted to find she had 7 fold bellows & being 2 years old, the bellows were well played in, so I was up & running straight away. :D

Funny thing too, visually it looked a lot smaller than my 30key Jeffries, but sat side by side it's actually the same size, so being all black, I think that must be down to some kind of optical illusion. :blink:

Cheers,

Dick

I remember creating that photo sometime ago - my stepdaughter was fed up with hearing about concertinas so I created the pic http://www.scatesconcertinas.com/pictures-of-scates-concertinas.html

Happy New Year to All

chris (no concertinas were injured during the creation of the picture)

Chris, as an aside. I have just found your treatise on various actions on your website. What an astonishing and helpful piece of work. Thank you for putting in what must have been a significant amount of effort. I have identified my Wheatstone as a type 8. Amazing!

Cheers

Andy.

Edited by Andy Holder