Nickolds family concertinas - information

Mike Durham

Hello! I am a direct descendant of the concertina maker John Nickolds (my great, great, great grandfather) and his son Thomas Nickolds of Islington (who was my mother's great grandfather - and so a person her own parents might well have known in person - she certainly knew of him). I have many family papers and photographs, including one of Frederick Charles Nickolds holding a concertina. Sadly, I've not inherited a concertina.

I'd be interested to know more about the Nickolds family business, if anyone can tell me anything new. I've researched quite extensively everything I can find on the Internet about the Nickolds father and sons. I'd certainly be very interested indeed to know if there are any other photographs of any of the Nickolds. Or any interesting further sources of information.

Oddly enough, I have many connections with Clerkenwell and am currently working in a job which is about a hundred yards from the site of his original 1848 workshop (I don't know if the building still stands), and if he was a beer drinking man then I am sure we have both often enough visited the same corner pub next door.

I'll be taking a look at some of the Nickolds concertinas in the Horniman Museum.

Also, how much would a Nickolds concertina be likely to cost - any condition, and not necessarily playable or even worth restoring? I am obviously not a collector - but it would have family interest.

Thanks - Mike, London

Hello! I am a direct descendant of the concertina maker John Nickolds (my great, great, great grandfather) and his son Thomas Nickolds of Islington (who was my mother's great grandfather - and so a person her own parents might well have known in person - she certainly knew of him). I have many family papers and photographs, including one of Frederick Charles Nickolds holding a concertina. Sadly, I've not inherited a concertina.

I'd be interested to know more about the Nickolds family business, if anyone can tell me anything new. I've researched quite extensively everything I can find on the Internet about the Nickolds father and sons. I'd certainly be very interested indeed to know if there are any other photographs of any of the Nickolds. Or any interesting further sources of information.

Oddly enough, I have many connections with Clerkenwell and am currently working in a job which is about a hundred yards from the site of his original 1848 workshop (I don't know if the building still stands), and if he was a beer drinking man then I am sure we have both often enough visited the same corner pub next door.

I'll be taking a look at some of the Nickolds concertinas in the Horniman Museum.

Also, how much would a Nickolds concertina be likely to cost - any condition, and not necessarily playable or even worth restoring? I am obviously not a collector - but it would have family interest.

Thanks - Mike, London

Welcome to concertina.net! For history, you might contact Stephen Chambers, who seems to know more than anyone else about concertina history, For a purchase, I'd suggest contacting Chris Algar at Barleycorn Concertinas. He may be able to find you one eventually if he doesn't have one in stock and he should be able to give a sense beforehand of what he would charge for one. Make sure that you let him know that an unrestored, poor-condition instrument would be acceptable to you.

Hello Mike. I have a Nickolds concertina that I restored in my workshop last year.I keep it as a collector item because they are very rare.The newest instrument in older than 1890 when the factory closed.Is a 28 button anglo instrument in fully playable condition and a beautifull mellow tone with rosewood ends and 7 fold leather bellows. I can send you photos and if you are interested. claroharrington@hotmail.com

Thanks - Mike, London

Welcome to concertina.net! For history, you might contact Stephen Chambers, who seems to know more than anyone else about concertina history, For a purchase, I'd suggest contacting Chris Algar at Barleycorn Concertinas. He may be able to find you one eventually if he doesn't have one in stock and he should be able to give a sense beforehand of what he would charge for one. Make sure that you let him know that an unrestored, poor-condition instrument would be acceptable to you.

Concertina collector and expert Neil Wayne just e-mailed me and asked me to post the following note for him:

Though I don't participate in c.net, you might kindly send this link/posting to the enquirer and to the thread, in case it's of use!

"The Concertina Museum (
) has a special section for Nickolds and Nickolds Bros - see here:

"Here (
is a link to Wes Williams' notes on the makers.

"There are about 20 Nickolds or Nickolds-related concertinas in the Collection, starting here:

"Richard Carlin's interview with Frank Butler has much information about Austin, George Jones, and other early Wheatstone craftsmen who went on to become makers -ee: [
]."