Dipper still for sale

Huckleberry

neill,

I appreciate your commenting on the Dipper which is still for sale for 2 more days on ebay. I have never done anything like this before and asked Tom to help me sell the concertina. After your request for a youtube came, there was a big learning curve, plus a shooting 2 blocks away of a judge and a deputy that put us in lockdown for a whole day. By the time we got it done it was too late...so we try again. Same Dipper!!

The good side to this is since I still have the concertina I got to play a St. Pat's gig at the local pub lat night.

I would have enjoyed your getting the instrument. I am hoping the next buyer is someone I can communicate the story of the concertina to.I spent several years in New Zealand and traveled the shipping lines playing concertina back and forth.

The instrument you have is certainly lovely. It has taken me so long to learn a bit to play the C/G that I shy from even the thought of learning another fingering. I become more dyslexic with age!

Anyway, good luck and congratuations on your Dipper. May you live long and prosper and have a good time on the way.

All the best,

huckleberry

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

neill,

I appreciate your commenting on the Dipper which is still for sale for 2 more days on ebay. I have never done anything like this before and asked Tom to help me sell the concertina. After your request for a youtube came, there was a big learning curve, plus a shooting 2 blocks away of a judge and a deputy that put us in lockdown for a whole day. By the time we got it done it was too late...so we try again. Same Dipper!!

The good side to this is since I still have the concertina I got to play a St. Pat's gig at the local pub lat night.

I would have enjoyed your getting the instrument. I am hoping the next buyer is someone I can communicate the story of the concertina to.I spent several years in New Zealand and traveled the shipping lines playing concertina back and forth.

The instrument you have is certainly lovely. It has taken me so long to learn a bit to play the C/G that I shy from even the thought of learning another fingering. I become more dyslexic with age!

Anyway, good luck and congratuations on your Dipper. May you live long and prosper and have a good time on the way.

All the best,

huckleberry

Thank you for you gracious good wishes. Sorry for the lack of unfounded trust on my behalf, it's just that I'd read of so many scammers out there i just couldn't risk it.

The concertina you have sounds wonderful and its the key I would have naturally gone for, but that said, the f/c dipper I purchased from button box is probably better for a beginner as it's not so harsh on the ears when badly played by a novice.

I wish you luck with the sale of your dipper, and had I the funds now, would probably buy it.

I only hope in my late years of beginning concertina playing, I can learn to play the f/c dipper i have as well as you can obviously play yours.

Regards

Neill

Geoff, have you seen this video of Dicky Deagan playing these reels on a set of your pipe:

Yes I have seen this. He is playing very well... perhaps, for me, it is a bit too fast but also very effective. Thanks for reminding me of this Neill.

Cheers,

Geoff.

PS; have you seen the youtube videos of Mikie Smyth (C# set), Padraic Keane (C set) or Tommy Keane with Jacqeuline MacCarthy (B pipes and Concertina in A/E) ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Great videos Geoff. I enquired about a set of your pipes about 27 years ago when you lived in Mailers flat , but couldn't afford them at the time and ended up buying a Wilkinson McCarthy set from hobgoblin which were to be honest, a pile of trash. I never knew that at the time, and after struggling with them for 6 months, gave up. It wasn't until I met Dicky deegan and tried his set, that I realised it wasn't my lack of piping aptitude, but more the the naff hobgoblin pipes. Since then Ive had a couple of practise sets and more lately, I bought a set of the electronic vpipes which are great for practising but not the real deal. I have some awful vids on YouTube.

Edited by neill

Great videos Geoff. I enquired about a set of your pipes about 27 years ago when you lived in Mailers flat , but couldn't afford them at the time and ended up buying a Wilkinson McCarthy set from hobgoblin which were to be honest, a pile of trash. I never knew that at the time, and after struggling with them for 6 months, gave up. It wasn't until I met Dicky deegan and tried his set, that I realised it wasn't my lack of piping aptitude, but more the the naff hobgoblin pipes. Since then Ive had a couple of practise sets and more lately, I bought a set of the electronic vpipes which are great for practising but not the real deal. I have some awful vids on YouTube.

Ah Mailer's Flat... that takes me back !

Chris,

I just visited your site! That is a beautiful instrument...love the wood ends. I did not read too far...what wood is it?

As to my Dipper, it did not meet the reserve and I did not look to the lower offers. It has been a learning experience and a bit frustrating as 3 bidders have backed out and my heart rises and falls accordingly(like a bellows!) It has given me some clarity as to what I want for the instrument, however.

I am forced to sell the concertina for economic reasons only. I do not want to be concertinaless in this world, so given I need near $6000 to repay loans incurred moving to take care of my widow elderly Mom (true!!), I would consider any offer near that figure which also included a C/G (or maybe an English?) replacement (obviously a mid range instrument) or enough extra to buy a Clover kit from Wim Walker.

If I do not get such an offer, I will try again on Ebay after Mercury goes direct(April 4).

All the best,

Huckleberry

Edited by Huckleberry

• 2 weeks later...

Neill,

Lovely playing, especially considering the short time you've been playing.

My one bit of advice is to start using your little finger.

You have been shifting to avoid using that unresponsive finger, but that is the finger that most needs to be used and developed.

Some people might like the shift but I prefer to use the default position and to stretch my little finger for the "little finger" notes.

Neill,

Lovely playing, especially considering the short time you've been playing.

My one bit of advice is to start using your little finger.

You have been shifting to avoid using that unresponsive finger, but that is the finger that most needs to be used and developed.

Some people might like the shift but I prefer to use the default position and to stretch my little finger for the "little finger" notes.

Thanks, do you use the air button in midfflow as I seem to keep running out of air or nearly running out of air. It's quite hardto practise a new tune slowly as the slower I play, the more air I use. Getting the right notes is one thing but getting the air seems harder.

The box may be able to take it but I can't yet. Lovely concertina George, I hope one day to do it justice. As you can see from the surroundings,I am banished to the garage at the moment but hopefully I'll improve and be allowed in the house shortly. Do you have any recommendations for suitable easy tunes, the emphasis being on easy?

Hello Geo

It must be a bit sad to part with such a personal custom beautiful work of art. It is rich in the sense that we are only keepers of our instruments and eventually they outlive us and are passed on to create new magic on other hands.

Richard