Dipper still for sale

Huckleberry

I played it once without knowing it was an F/C first. It's bloody terrifying if you don't know what you're getting yourself into!

Well I've only dabbled in the past, so I'm a relative newbie so I'll be starting from scratch. It's a sort of 50th birthday present to myself

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huckleberry has just uploaded a visor of the dipper on YouTube.

His friend sent me an e mail with the link. I feel a bit guilty now, having bought the dipper, but the second chance offer expired a couple of days ago

Here is the video, it's sounds ok to me

Huckleberry has just uploaded a visor of the dipper on YouTube.

His friend sent me an e mail with the link. I feel a bit guilty now, having bought the dipper, but the second chance offer expired a couple of days ago

Here is the video, it's sounds ok to me

You have to realize that an F/C is very different than C/G in pitch. For irish music (if this is what you'll play) if you're going to be mainly playing by yourself, the F/C is an amazing choice as its pitch is much lower than the standard session key of D (C/G) and it can be argued it's a much less irritating pitch. I might be wrong but playing an F/C "irish anglo style" will give you a base note of Bb, which is my favorite key for sessions.

You could also get on pretty decently in a C session, playing G tunes in F and D tunes in C, etc.

--Dan

It would require you to use mostly the right side of your instrument, as these notes would be very high for an F/C. Would be too hard for me to re-learn!

You could also get on pretty decently in a C session, playing G tunes in F and D tunes in C, etc.

--Dan

It would require you to use mostly the right side of your instrument, as these notes would be very high for an F/C. Would be too hard for me to re-learn!

Very high on the right side? F and C are the home keys of the instrument! You'd be quite comfortable playing each.

--Dan

The dipper has arrived safely, I've figured out all the notes and drawn a chart, now to get a book about how to play. It has a lovely mellow sound and not as piercing as the cg Anglos...even my wife dosnt screw her face up too much. Any recommendations for a decent tutor book?

Bertram Levy's are as good as any. John Townley had a decent one for Shantymen, but it is probably no longer available.

Cheers,

Geo

P.s. My Cat hated the Jeffries, and preferred the Dipper.

How many Dippers does Huckleberry have for sale? There is the same one at ebay right now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dipper-Concertina-Anglo-31-buttons-/280843469112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4163934138

Sorry, I got puzzled by all those Dippers - the other Dipper came from the Button-Box!?!.

Edited by conzertino

Yes, my dipper came from button box. I was the runner up in Huckleberry's original auction, and was made a second chance offer, but bottled out of the deal as I was unsure of the legitimacy of the offer due to the scam stories I'd read about eBay 2nd chance offers. I therefore opted to buy the shantyman from button box, which I'm very pleased with but stretched my bank account to it's limit. Huckleberry's dipper is certainly genuine and I only wish he had uploaded the video a bit quicker when he made me the 2nd chance offer.

The Same night I received the dipper from button box, someone tried to break into my house. They failed To gain access to the house, but managed to steal several items from my sheds including lawnmowers and a strummer. It's probably just a coincidence, but it really shook me up. I hope the buggers die a slow painful death!

The Same night I received the dipper from button box, someone tried to break into my house. They failed To gain access to the house, but managed to steal several items from my sheds including lawnmowers and a strummer. It's probably just a coincidence, but it really shook me up. I hope the buggers die a slow painful death!

Perhaps it would be nice if some robbers stole half the "strummers" from the Irish sessions ! ;)

neill, on 17 March 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Perhaps it would be nice if some robbers stole half the "strummers" from the Irish sessions !

Oops, idont really keep strummers in the shed, but I bury bohdran beaters beneath the patio. The thriving scumbags stole my strimmer. (bloody iPad predictive text)

Yes, my dipper came from button box. I was the runner up in Huckleberry's original auction, and was made a second chance offer, but bottled out of the deal as I was unsure of the legitimacy of the offer due to the scam stories I'd read about eBay 2nd chance offers. I therefore opted to buy the shantyman from button box, which I'm very pleased with but stretched my bank account to it's limit. Huckleberry's dipper is certainly genuine and I only wish he had uploaded the video a bit quicker when he made me the 2nd chance offer.