Dipper still for sale

Huckleberry

Looks like a sale is imminent since it appeaers the reserve on the eBay auction has been triggered at $6500.

If you mean this one, how do you know if it's the same concertina?

I supppose there could be identical Dippers for sale that are located in Washington State, in the same town. But what are the odds ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are looking for a Dipper, try The Button Box.

http://www.buttonbox...s-in-stock.html

...so just out of curiosity I went to the site to look at this Dipper. It is beautiful. Do you see the actual carving of the overs and unders on the fretwork. An instrument that is also artwork. Delicious.

It *is* gorgeous .. I had the opportunity to pick it up for a bit a couple months ago and it fit my hands like it was custom made for them. It has lovely curved handrests that makes it extraordinarily comfortable to hold.

Assuming it's the same concertina, it went for USD$7700! It's not bad at all for an older model, some people still have money :lol:

The winning bidder has apparently pulled out of the sale and I being 2nd highest has been sent a second chance offer. I'm not sure what to do now....I'm in the uk and the seller is in USA and there seems so many scams these days how can I be certain it's a genuine offer and not some scammer. The seller says he wants to proceed through eBay channels but has indicated on the listing he dosnt want to use paypal .........what do I do?..

Assuming it's the same concertina, it went for USD$7700! It's not bad at all for an older model, some people still have money :lol:

The winning bidder has apparently pulled out of the sale and I being 2nd highest has been sent a second chance offer. I'm not sure what to do now....I'm in the uk and the seller is in USA and there seems so many scams these days how can I be certain it's a genuine offer and not some scammer. The seller says he wants to proceed through eBay channels but has indicated on the listing he dosnt want to use paypal .........what do I do?..

Are you positive that you were contacted by the actual seller?

Why not PM the original poster on this thread? He is the seller, n'est pas? (unless I'm missing something here)

It's not bad at all for an older model

Don't follow. Are the early ones not as good? Or do modern concertinas depreciate unlike the vintage ones?

Let's just take Wheatstone as an example. The value of these really depends on the year they've been made, because they were of different quality or even makers through time. So a "vintage" concertina is not worth top money just because of its age and name. I can't say about this particular Dipper as I've never tried it, but my personal (maybe wrong) opinion is that this early Dipper might not be as wonderful as the most recent ones.

EDIT:

I forgot to add the fact that some older concertinas might also require some repairs. For these reasons, and the fact that there's not much information on the eBay page, I was quite impressed with the high price it fetched.

Edited by Azalin

It's not bad at all for an older model

Don't follow. Are the early ones not as good? Or do modern concertinas depreciate unlike the vintage ones?

Let's just take Wheatstone as an example. The value of these really depends on the year they've been made, because they were of different quality or even makers through time. So a "vintage" concertina is not worth top money just because of its age and name. I can't say about this particular Dipper as I've never tried it, but my personal (maybe wrong) opinion is that this early Dipper might not be as wonderful as the most recent ones.

EDIT:

I forgot to add the fact that some older concertinas might also require some repairs. For these reasons, and the fact that there's not much information on the eBay page, I was quite impressed with the high price it fetched.

Oh fair enough, nothing sinister then.

Good notion to question and verify. I had a similar experience on a concertina eBay bid a few years ago, with about $6,000 at risk. The "second chance" offer looked very legit, but I knew how to contact the seller outside of eBay and discovered the "second chance" was a scam.

Going through concertina.net is a good route for you to verify this offer. Regarding the concertina you bid on, I live in Washington state and met with the owner a few months ago. I've exchanged a few emails with him, so have a way to contact him. I'd have confidence working through the concertina.net message route, but if you have trouble getting in contact with him, let me know and I can send an email on your behalf requesting verification.

A friend who had a second chance offer recently put it down to a shill bidder who had over-reached the market and accidentally bought the item. The seller then had to offer it to the next bidder, my friend, whose top price had been discovered.

I don't know his interpretation was right, nor do I have reason to suspect this situation is the same, just thought the story worth sharing.

I asked the seller to upload a video of him playing the concertina uploaded to YouTube but havnt heard from him since so I have decided to pass on this one, it's just far too risky. I have just bought the dipper from button box instead.

I asked the seller to upload a video of him playing the concertina uploaded to YouTube but havnt heard from him since so I have decided to pass on this one, it's just far too risky. I have just bought the dipper from button box instead.

Do you mean the F/C concertina? Did they have another Dipper?

Do you mean the F/C concertina? Did they have another Dipper?

I think they only had the one

Oops sorry for the double post. Well, I'll be at the Button Box on april 15th, and I wanted to give this one a try, now you robbed me from this experience! ;-) I wish you a great marriage with this Dipper, F/C must be wicked!