Interesting blog site

Marcus

I came across this blog while perusing YouTube

http://irish.cocolog-nifty.com/flute_concertina/

Apart from being a very luck guy - 7 concertinas no less! There's a great little challenge to match the different concertinas to their rendition of the same tune. I was truly impressed by the hybrid concertina made by Frank Edgely in this challenge. And I'm sure you'll all have just as much trouble as I did matching them up!

Just goes to show that although we all lust after a traditional instrument the hybrids easily hold their own and the sound produced is remarkably similar!

http://irish.cocolog...ute_concertina/

Apart from being a very luck guy - 7 concertinas no less! There's a great little challenge to match the different concertinas to their rendition of the same tune. I was truly impressed by the hybrid concertina made by Frank Edgely in this challenge. And I'm sure you'll all have just as much trouble as I did matching them up!

Just goes to show that although we all lust after a traditional instrument the hybrids easily hold their own and the sound produced is remarkably similar!

Here is a direct link to the "challenge". This blog belongs to Tomo who occasionally posts on c.net.

Thank you for finding my blog! I enjoyed making this little challenge very much.

I've always recommended Edgley concertinas to those looking for better anglo concertinas because they're very responsive and their sound is great.

Cheers,

Tomoyuki

http://irish.cocolog...ute_concertina/

Interesting, but misleading; recordings generally don't reflect the differences between concertinas and especially the difference between traditional and hybrid concertinas. In a live setting, the differences are much more pronounced.

I've owned 3 hybrids, and still have 2. When I record them, they don't sound hugely different from my Jeffries or Dipper-modified Lachenal. But when playing on the street for Morris dancers, or with one of my bands, the difference is enormous.

Recordings tend to minimize the overtones that give hybrids that accordionish sound; in a live setting, they're much more obvious.

And volume is misleading. I remember sitting outside a pub in London, Ont. with another C.Netter and comparing his Jeffries G/D with my (at the time) Morse G/D. We both agreed that my Morse sounded louder. But playing for dancers, his Jeffires was much more audible because of the purity of the tone; the sound of my Morse, while strong in terms of decibels, was lost in the cacophony.

I'm not putting hybrids down; some of them are great instruments, and I continue to enjoy a Morse; it's the box I keep next to my desk and pick up at odd moments during the day. But there really are big differences in sound that don't generally come out in recordings.

Edited by Jim Besser

Hello, Jim. Thank you for your post!

Your comment is very interesting and very useful to me. In fact, I was wondering why there were less differences between these recordings than I had thought.

I'll try to listen to concertinas more carefully in live settings.

Tomoyuki

I uploaded each sound file on SoundCloud today. Now, you can download seven WAV sound files from my blog, and then you can compare them on your PCs. The sound quality of WAV files is much better than YouTube.

http://irish.cocolog-nifty.com/flute_concertina/2011/07/the-blackthorn.html

I hope you enjoy listening to them!

Tomoyuki

• 8 years later...

Hello. I have a 30 button English (beginners?) Concertina. Strangely enough, the following notes have been switched places: F '' and F # '' (left) and the low B and Bb (right). Very clumsy when practicing. Is this just a factory defect? Does anyone know about this phenomenon? Can I open the instrument and change the reeds? Who can help me?