General History Of Lachenal Concertinas

richard

Hello

I'm sorry for such a big question.....

I would like to find out more about Lachenal instruments. specifically Anglos.

I have seen a variety of types (especially on Ebay) and wonder what were the different models and their hiearchy of quality. specifically I have noticed more ornate nicer looking wooden ends, and less ornate ends.

Was there a time frame in their production that consistently produced better quality instrument?

What determines a very good quality Lachenal as opposed to an average one.

Would even a very good Lachenal be mediocre?

It seems there are some that at least have a nice tone going for them?

Is there some study or article someone could refer me to?

Thanks

Richard

Edited by richard

That's a big question alright. I have owned 5 Lachenals (which may make me a mere dabbler around here) and they vary so much (both original construction and care in the years since) that I cannot generalize beyond what Chris T. has in the concertina faq and Chris Algar's notes on his web site. Judging those boxes on ebay without personal examination is pretty much a shot in the dark. I bought 4 of my 5 from people I know or had met in person so I knew what I was getting and the 5th from a music dealer (not of concertinas, but still willing to take a return).

You'll hear lots of other experiences (and some real expertise) on this here. Anyone else?

Richard,

While Lachenal's brass-reeded concertinas had reeds of a more or less consistent quality, as they were machined, I'm afraid the biggest variable in steel-reeded Lachenal anglos lies in the skill of the individual reed maker who made the reeds (which were hand made) for that particular instrument, so the best way to judge one is really to play it.

Cheers,