Stagi 18-button English mini concertina

lmc

I am selling a mini Stagi, pretty much new, bellows not even broken in. I have played it less than a dozen times. I am an Anglo player and it is lunacy to waste my time trying to figure out this system! Mine is Mahogany and comes with a GREAT hard case that fits it perfectly, and has a key. These tiny concertinas have a pretty big sound. concertina is in excellent like new condition, as I said, bellows not even broken in. it comes with hard the case. I am asking $350 and buyer pays shipping. I have attached a photos of the concertina I am selling and can send more if anyone wants to see more photos.

post-1082-0-19025600-1322662527_thumb.jpgpost-1082-0-68386100-1322662501_thumb.jpg

Leonor

below is description from House of Musical Traditions:

18-button English mini concertina

1.5 pounds, hexagonal, white plastic buttons, quality leather bellows have 10 folds in 2 sections of 5 each. Leather thumbstraps, and the same pinky straps on the other side. (instead of the metal pinky rest found on larger models) Two styles: mahogany with dark brown bellows or black finish with black bellows.

Featherweight and real cute, it's a great street performer's instrument. People are always amazed at the music you can make on this little squeezebox, because they think it's a toy instead of a real instrument.

It's almost like a "button pennywhistle" with 2 sharps and 1 flat, not quite fully chromatic like its big brothers; it is missing only G# and Eb. Plays in C, G, D, F, and the relative minors and Irish modal scales over a range of almost 2 octaves, from C to B. Very nice tone, quite loud despite its size.

Case not included.

This is a very popular item; we don't always have both colors in stock. Please indicate whether you are able to wait for your preferred selection, or whether we should just send whatever we have in stock now.

$569.00 Choose color:"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I was the one who bought it.

It was a pleasure meeting lmc and I'm having a blast with this little instrument. It's not what one would call a pretty sound, but it's really fun to play. It will play a great many of the tunes I know or want to play (not that I know a great many) and I look forward being able to carry a small 'tina around (but with a big voice) and also one that's not too expensive.

Thanks to lmc and to this list that made it possible for me to find one of these things at a price I could justify.

And I was the one who bought it.

It was a pleasure meeting lmc and I'm having a blast with this little instrument. It's not what one would call a pretty sound, but it's really fun to play. It will play a great many of the tunes I know or want to play (not that I know a great many) and I look forward being able to carry a small 'tina around (but with a big voice) and also one that's not too expensive.

Thanks to lmc and to this list that made it possible for me to find one of these things at a price I could justify.

I am so happy you are enjoying it. I definitely found a good home!

Leonor

• 2 years later...

I have small hands and noticed that there is an older STAGI 18 button for sale now on EBay. It appears to from an Estate sale and looks like it hasn't been used for a long time and kind of beat up but it is the kind I have been looking for, for myself. Would you guys take a look at it and tell me just your thoughts on it? It is listed as noted in the attached photo. The case is badly rusted but the Tina is supposed to be quite sound.

Thanks

Evepost-11074-0-14148400-1392188776_thumb.jpg

I can't find the eBay listing you're talking about, but from what you say, I'd be careful. Concertinas that haven't had much attention in a while can have all kinds of things wrong with them that isn't obvious on the surface. In particular, Stagis often use rubber tubing to connect the keys to the levers, and that tubing doesn't last forever. It may seem fine from the outside but be on the verge of crumbling to bits.

If you want a good deal on an 18-button mini, the Button Box has one in stock right now. (http://www.buttonbox.com/concertinas-in-stock.html) It's branded Hohner, but it looks exactly the same as the Stagi. (Anyone out there know more about this than I do?)

My only concern is that, even with small hands, you might find this uncomfortable to play for long periods. Only trying it will tell you about your own comfort.

My post from 2011 still stands: I love this little box. But it is not my main instrument, nor could it be; however it might be just right for you. That's the only test that matters.

In my experience, what's most comfortable depends a lot on what you're used to. When the 18-button was my main instrument, I could play it for hours, and any other concertina felt strange. Then when I switched to playing my other concertinas more, the 18-button started to feel more uncomfortable (so I played it less and less and eventually sold it).

So, sure, the 18-button isn't right for everybody, but in exactly the same sense as any other instrument isn't right for everybody.

Johanna!

I bought it!

I bought the 18 button Hohner mini from Button Box. I really compared it to the Jackie, but in the end I realized that my search began because of my small hands and my hand surgery. I think the weight is the issue here. For me, anyway. Ease of play and travel are next. I want to be able to us it everywhere I go and my German 20 button is too large to throw into my suitcase or carry on board. This tiny gem seems both adequate and portable, suitable to my needs at present. I am so happy I posted and got your response and the response of others on this post thank you. I listened to the video they demoed and I was surprised to hear the 18 is mellowed than I expected: my German is pretty and colorful but some of the notes are strictly. Dog whistles so I realized that I am not using all 20 at all! Maybe half!! It should arrive next week and I will post again to let everybody know what I think.

I am a vocalist and Native narrative storyteller ( http://www.thesparklinglady.com/ ). I believe my concertina will add drama and excitement to my stories.

I sing, for the world is a lonely place, in need of my song.

Eve Silver

Lady Healer

Mike,

I would dearly love to read your review of your little 18 and how you used it. I am excited to receive mine and give it a whirl. Also, I believe that it is English and I look forward to attempting to try my original tunes on it.

Johanna,

Did you find that you were very limited in creating your tunes with it? Mike?

Eve Silver
Lady Healer

Congratulations!!! I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I also chose the 18-button in part because I was recovering from a wrist injury and wanted something small and light. The Jackie seemed very large and unwieldy. I think you'll appreciate the lighter weight.

I play mostly English traditional tunes (by myself, in private, for fun) and American contemporary folk music (with others, in public, for fun and profit). Search for "Shenandoah Run" on youtube to get the idea. (No videos with the 18-button, unfortunately - there were a few once, but we've since taken them down.) I would say that about 90% of what I wanted to play, I could play on the 18-button with no problem. Maybe another 5% I could play with small changes, and the other 5% I would have to give up and do something else instead. Of course, now that I have 48 buttons to work with, I make every effort to use as many of them as possible.

The biggest problem I ever had with the 18-button was that it is LOUD. My solution was to make "baffles" out of ultrasuede to cover the sound holes on each end. That softened the tone and also sweetened it - some people said it sounded like a flute. I wrote a post somewhere here about how I made the baffles - let me know if you want me to find it for you.

Oh I am so excited to know all about your 18! :) I think that your idea to construct baffles is a creative and inspiring way to deal with the problem. I need to do that too. I am grateful for your offer to share the information with me. Will you post it here or shall I give you an email address?

What type of concertina is your 48? Is it too, English?

I sing many Child ballads and have been picking my way around these on my German 20. I am so grateful to you for telling me how MANY tunes you were able to play on your mini and how few you were forced to lay aside. I'd love to see those videos! ;D

Yes, welcome to the fellowship of the Stagi mini!

It is not my main "serious" concertina, but it is a good friend. I highly value it's portability and lightness, and it's ability to be heard. I travel around town a lot on my bicycle, and it will fit in my computer bag along with my laptop (a MacBook Air, so it doesn't take up too much room) and my tune books, etc. So, I'm always ready (but not in this weather) to play a tune or two if I'm sitting outside at my favorite cafe, or if I have to wait for a meeting to start. I sometimes take it in the car with me, if I know I might have to do some waiting somewhere.

It fits in a small camera bag, so if I'm off for a folk music weekend or week, I can always have it with me.

I mostly play English country dance and some processional tunes (it's great for playing while walking). I haven't used it yet for storytelling, which I also do, but it would work well. I tried it busking once; it is nice and loud, easy to play standing, but it was hard on my hands after a while. As Johanna said, you'll find some tunes that won't work on it, but I agree with her that it will probably play most of whatever you want to pay.

Plus, in buying it from the Button Box, you'll know it's in good working order. Mine has a canted F#, which I haven't been able to straighten, but I've gotten used to it.

I'm excited that you're excited. I think you're going to be very happy with it.

Mike