OK, it's time to sell my first concertina

maccannic

Having built up confidence in playing my new concertina, I've decided it's now time to put my original one up for sale.

It's a 64-key 'New Model' Lachenal Maccann duet, dating from about 1898, with raised wooden ends and steel reeds (concert pitch). Range is middle-C to high-G (2 and a half octaves) on the RH end, with the LH end the same but an octave lower. I played it regularly for about 12 years before I got my new, bigger, one and it is in tune with all notes playing. There is a very small amount of cosmetic damage on the outside, although the bellows are fine and it has a very nice tone. I have the original Lachenal case, but this is in poor condition and I had a new padded case made for it - both of these are included if desired.

I had an expert independent valuation of £2000 but would take a reasonable offer. I was also advised as a point of interest that the concertina may originally have been an exhibition model, as the size and layout does not seem to be particularly common.

Anyone here likely to be interested, or know someone who might be? Otherwise I guess it's going to be Ebay or a dealer.

Yes, that's right. The two ends are exactly the same, except an octave apart.

The 'new' one is bigger, going down to low G on the left. It is heavier and felt slower and less manageable and took a while before I decided I was completely happy with it, but it's OK now.

I'll put up some pictures of the Lachenal when I've got my brain together.

I knew there would be something else I should have said.

The bellows have six 'peaks', i.e. seven 'valleys'. I would have called that seven folds, but the concertina world seems to call that six folds. The ends measure 8 and a quarter inches across the flats.

Having built up confidence in playing my new concertina, I've decided it's now time to put my original one up for sale.

It's a 64-key 'New Model' Lachenal Maccann duet, dating from about 1898, with raised wooden ends and steel reeds (concert pitch). Range is middle-C to high-G (2 and a half octaves) on the RH end, with the LH end the same but an octave lower. I played it regularly for about 12 years before I got my new, bigger, one and it is in tune with all notes playing. There is a very small amount of cosmetic damage on the outside, although the bellows are fine and it has a very nice tone. I have the original Lachenal case, but this is in poor condition and I had a new padded case made for it - both of these are included if desired.

I had an expert independent valuation of £2000 but would take a reasonable offer. I was also advised as a point of interest that the concertina may originally have been an exhibition model, as the size and layout does not seem to be particularly common.

Anyone here likely to be interested, or know someone who might be? Otherwise I guess it's going to be Ebay or a dealer.

Did you sell this yet? I'm interested in obtaining a larger Mccann than my present 46 key one.

Hi everybody, in response to queries I've had from various people, here's a few more details:

The concertina weighs 4 pounds 11 ounnces (i.e. 2.13 kilos). It has a proper rivetted action (unlike some cheaper Lachenals).

I attempted to attach a couple of sound files so you could hear what it's like and what it can do, but the message came back they're too big to upload. I will try again later.

It has a proper rivetted action (unlike some cheaper Lachenals).

Oh don't undersell your wares! 'Unlike most other Lachenals, even the fanciest' is closer. As I understand it a Lach of this age would only have rivetted action by special order from the factory or because someone thought well enough of it to get it specially converted later in life. Either way it goes with the interesting bespoke layout to say loudly that someone thought very highly of this instrument.

Oh don't undersell your wares! 'Unlike most other Lachenals, even the fanciest' is closer. As I understand it a Lach of this age would only have rivetted action by special order from the factory or because someone thought well enough of it to get it specially converted later in life. Either way it goes with the interesting bespoke layout to say loudly that someone thought very highly of this instrument.

I have to say that I find this discussion most rivetting. :)

Chris

I have to say that I find this discussion most rivetting. :)

Chris

I am hooked on it myself. :P

ocd

I just love this site. Not only have I had all sorts of interest and encouraging comments, but thanks to a kind offer of help from a techno-savvy member here (thanks, Jim Lucas) I am now able to link to a couple of sound files of my concertina:

Maruxa

Argeers; Christina

The recordings are a bit rough (but not as rough as my playing!). 'Maruxa' is a slow Spanish piece with little left-hand figures filling in some of the gaps in the tune. Argeers and Christina are faster, with mostly oom-pah accompaniment - the close miking on these throws up rather more mechanical noise than you seem to get in real life. Still, they serve to show what a machine of this size can do, even for an only average player.

I hope I have now answered everybody's questions (and thanks again Jim).