Crane duet

SteveS

I've got a 48 with Crane & Sons label which looks a lot like yours - Lachenal serial no 256 on the insides. The right hand bar, which carries the Lachenal trade mark, also has a second number impressed into the wood - C & S 844, which I assume is a Crane & Sons number. However, my other Crane, a 56 'New Model', which a Lachenal-badged with serial number 693, also carries a 'C & S' number, partly obscured now by wear, which appears to have been 'C & S 08809'. I don't really know what is going on there, and I suspect no-one else does these days either.

Interesting!

Comparison with my own Crane & Sons instrument tells me that we have a topic here which deserves more focused attention, so rather than continue to hide the discussion here, I've started a new Topic in the Concertina History subForum.

Please join me there.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 48 with Crane & Sons label which looks a lot like yours - Lachenal serial no 256 on the insides. The right hand bar, which carries the Lachenal trade mark, also has a second number impressed into the wood - C & S 844, which I assume is a Crane & Sons number. However, my other Crane, a 56 'New Model', which a Lachenal-badged with serial number 693, also carries a 'C & S' number, partly obscured now by wear, which appears to have been 'C & S 08809'.

Mine has s/n 60 and 60 internally too, and C&S 413 impressed into the right hand bar.

It also has brass reeds.

I'd love to hear those brass reeds.

I remember trying a student model that hand only 30 something keys on it. Very Simple Lachenal, that my friend Howie let me borrow for a bit. I thought the brass reeds had such a sweet sound compared to the steel reeds. I now have a Wheatstone Aeola Crane from 1929 with steel reeds. It's beautiful, but sometimes, I think it would be nice to also have that small little brass reed crane to play softly in the evening, as my girlfriend is sleeping on the couch!

I get a lot of pleasure out of playing my soft, sweet voiced brass reeded rosewood EC from 1851. I also have a model 21 with metal ends and steel reeds that I can drive a whole roomful of dancers without using amplification. Good old variety.

The tenor-treble EC in my avatar is brass-reeded - it's an instrument I rebuilt.

It plays surprisingly loud (I played it in a session the other week when my metal-ended TT dropped a pad), but yet is mellow enough for song accompaniment.

I'm only just starting out on my Crane journey.

Edited by SteveS