Quality Leather Tina Cases

Keith Kendrick

It must be over 20 years ago since John Holman ceased to make concertina bellows and cases. At that time he took up making Videos (mainly of weddings), which paid very much more than making bellows. As you say this was a great loss to the Concertina World.

At about the same time Robin Scard started working with Colin and Rosalie Dipper, and he made me a really good leather concertina case for my larger concertina. In the intervening years he has gone on to become a really excelent concertina maker; I don't know if he would still be willing to make you a case. He can be contacted via Colin Dipper.

Inventor.

Greg made a case for my big Crabb Crane. The only thing that I would do differently is have him make it in the style I've seen in UK, no handle on top and a leather strap that wraps 'round and supports from the bottom. The top mount handle makes it just not fit in an airline overhead and I have to turn it on its side.

It's a lovely case, though.

I've not come up with any that match the quality of the John Holman cases. I'm privelged to have one for each of my 2 Dipper anglos....made in 1979 and 1980.....Rosie Dipper estimates their value as £400 each, mainly due to the quality of the French lining. I've taken my tinas all over the world in these cases and they still look fresh!

Good luck in your search for quality cases.

Graham