wheatstone on ebay

John D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anglo-Wheatstone-Concertina-C-G-Vintage-Unique-/170726892799

The idea of a C/G Anglo with extended layout appeals to me, but I'm finding it very hard to find much info on them

I've asked for button count verification and serial number for this one, but given the seller I'm not sure what I'll get back .. I can only find anecdotal mentions of 50B Wheatstones, and no layouts anywhere ..

This instrument has been around a lot and has been discussed before here!.

I have seen and played it at Chirs Algar's place about two years ago.

indeed it has .. and now I even remember reading the thread ;) sorry about that!

as expected, he still won't tell the serial .. but this time he started at 0.99 and doesn't seem to have a reserve, so I guess he's looking to get rid of it this time ..

...this time he started at 0.99 and doesn't seem to have a reserve, so I guess he's looking to get rid of it this time ..

Which leads cynical me to wonder whether the condition is still the same as when gpanda123 bought it from our gavdav on eBay last May. :ph34r:

as expected, he still won't tell the serial .. but this time he started at 0.99 and doesn't seem to have a reserve, so I guess he's looking to get rid of it this time ..

And my prediction is that he'll pull the auction if it doesn't look like making the kind of asking price he set the last couple of times he listed it.

If I remember correctly from pictures in earlier threads of the concertina in question, there is some damage and/or missing fretwork to the side not shown. I too expect that the seller will repeat an earlier practice of pulling the listing if he doesn't like where the bidding is going -- or not going! The seller has established a well defined pattern of refusing to disclose routine information about the concertinas he has on eBay, and his responses to legitimate questions have been anything but friendly. He regularly refuses to provide information that any bidder should want to know and his responses belittle those who ask for that information. I've said it before and I repeat it here: Steer clear!

Ross

Interestingly, the pictures only show the left hand side of the instrument. The one that appears to show the other side is actually upside down!

Chris

I thought so at first, but it appears that they are in fact two different ends (and the buttons match the layout diagram I received from it's previous owner)

And my prediction is that he'll pull the auction if it doesn't look like making the kind of asking price he set the last couple of times he listed it.

Looks like he pulled the listing.

His intention to do so, is I believe, expressed in this reply to a question: "Presently, the bidding is way off target here, with time running out."

Edited by SteveS

Looks like he pulled the listing.

His intention to do so, is I believe, expressed in this reply to a question: "Presently, the bidding is way off target here, with time running out."

May also have been Ebay kicking him off ;)

I had an interesting conversation with an Ebay customer service rep yesterday evening after seeing that comment, and evidently many people have been complaining of his behavior. The rep said the guy was clearly violating numerous ebay policies and that he was probably looking at a total ban (evidently he's already been suspended in the past). Of course there's nothing to prevent his signing up with another ID, but unless he changes his ways he'll be easily identifiable in the future ..

Of course there's nothing to prevent his signing up with another ID, but unless he changes his ways he'll be easily identifiable in the future ..

With luck, it'll take more than signing up with a new ID. If he has a fixed IP address, that will ID him regardless of whatever other name he chooses.

We can hope.
B)

Of course there's nothing to prevent his signing up with another ID, but unless he changes his ways he'll be easily identifiable in the future ..

With luck, it'll take more than signing up with a new ID. If he has a fixed IP address, that will ID him regardless of whatever other name he chooses.

We can hope.
B)

You've got more faith in Ebay than me, Jim. I would expect Ebay to take the view that, as they have, and been seen to have, 'punished' G P and A, they can let him loose again in another identity and with luck he'll have leaned his lesson and make them some money.

He's his own worst enemy, because he can't stop posting wild answers to questions. Anyone who reads them will see in an instant that he's crazier than a rat in a coffee can.

The best thing everyone can do to protect unsuspecting buyers is to ask as many questions as possible every time he starts an auction. Give him enough rope to hang himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did not sell, and listed again http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170745953977 just £50 cheaper, again a 10 day listing. If he is holding a Dutch auction at £50 decrements each 10 days, I suppose it will eventually sell before 2012 is out. If this is a good way of selling things, ebay has its business model wrong.

Did not sell, and listed again http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170745953977 just £50 cheaper, again a 10 day listing. If he is holding a Dutch auction at £50 decrements each 10 days, I suppose it will eventually sell before 2012 is out. If this is a good way of selling things, ebay has its business model wrong.

And he continues to shell out ebay fees.

Given the size of the potential market for an instrument like that is probably very small, and that no-one has any money, and given the reputation he's accrued, I doubt he'll sell it any time soon.

Edited by SteveS