crabb or jeffries?

fleadh322

Hi! I am considering upgrading my concertina soon and would benefit from your opinions. My mind is tied between a crabb or a 38 key jeffries. If anyone has an negatives or positives or any other ideas, it would be great if they could specify them. Also it would be great if anyone could tell me the price range of these makes of concertina. Thanks. :)

Hello. I can't help you with prices on a 38 button., but I can offer some issues to consider. First, 38 button instruments are heavier than 30 button models but I strongly recommend you try both before making a decision about whether this extra weight bothers you. However, I can say that IMHO the 46 button models are far too heavy for comfortable play of ITM -- they may still be suitable for other kinds of music if you need the extra notes for chords, etc. You didn't say what kind of music you want to play. If it is ITM, then a 30 button C/G will suit and the extra 8 buttons are not required. Another potential issue is button size. As the instruments add buttons, these buttons frequently get smaller. I find the smaller metal buttons uncomfortable. High spring tension will make this worse. I have played many Jeffries and Crabbs and prefer the 30 bone button models of either.

As to the difference between Jeffries and earlier Crabbs, I think it's more a matter of tone and attack than anything else. Many of the earlier Jeffries were made by Crabb -- hence the similarity in appearance and action. From my experience, I find that normally the Jeffries will have bit more bite and volume while the Crabbs are a bit smoother and less honky. Since Jeffries are highly prized, you may fine that you can get an equivalent model Crabb for a good bit less money but not sacrifice playability and still have almost the same sound.

Both the Jeffries and the Crabbs will favor players with larger hands. Smaller handed players usually get on better with Wheatstones.

Hope that helps,

Ross Schlabach

Edited by RP3

To be honest, if you're casually thinking of upgrading to one of these instruments and you're not even roughly aware of their asking prices, maybe they're not for you!! As far as I know, you'll have to search a bit as they don't exactly grow on trees :) On the other hand, maybe you're lucky enough to know someone who is offering you a choice of same. In which case, count your lucky stars :rolleyes:

Edited by tombilly

One further important consideration is that not all Jeffries (or any other make) of the same model will play the same. They may have differed in playing quality when new, and the history of an individual concertina over the best part of a century may also have had an influence. So make every effort to try a variety of instruments before you make your choice.

Hi! I am considering upgrading my concertina soon and would benefit from your opinions. My mind is tied between a crabb or a 38 key jeffries. If anyone has an negatives or positives or any other ideas, it would be great if they could specify them. Also it would be great if anyone could tell me the price range of these makes of concertina. Thanks. :)

Depends entirely on the individual instrument. I've played some spectacular Crabbs and some mediocre ones; same with Jeffries.