OK .. who bought the Electrified Wheatstone 48 Key Baritone!

Ptarmigan

Well, which lucky so & so got their hands on the ...

Wheatstone 48 Key Baritone Aeola English Concertina-Electrified!

Not only a wonderful looking instrument, but with a lot of history attached:

"... was from the collection of the late John Nixon-whom was undoubtedly one of the best concertina players of the last generation having done many recordings for the B.B.C and having played on Paul McCartney's "Frog Chorus".

Cheers,

Dick

This baritone was sold in auction for under $1000 and was bought by Chris Algers. I know because I placed a bid with the auctioneer who "forgot" to place my bid and it was won for a price under my bid. I was just a bit more than ticked off at the time. The auction house said they were "sorry". Oh well it was not meant to be I guess. Chris came away with a very nice profit.

I placed a bid with the auctioneer who "forgot" to place my bid and it was won for a price under my bid. I was just a bit more than ticked off at the time. The auction house said they were "sorry".

OUCH! :o .... That's bound to hurt, Stephen!

This baritone was sold in auction for under $1000 and was bought by Chris Algers. I know because I placed a bid with the auctioneer who "forgot" to place my bid and it was won for a price under my bid. I was just a bit more than ticked off at the time. The auction house said they were "sorry". Oh well it was not meant to be I guess. Chris came away with a very nice profit.

Yes Stephen,

this is a shame, however, you ought to keep in mind that had your bid been included then Mr. Algar would have just had to pay more. I suggest that he would have bid to more than £3000 to secure this instrument and he would still make a profit on re-selling it. That is how he makes a living. Sad though this is for you, please remember that if you really need a particlar type of Concertina then Mr.Algar will find one for you.

Also I think it was a fair move by Chris Algar to sell this very rare instrument through the international forum of Ebay... gives us all a chance to aquire it at a "whatever anyone is prepared to pay" price. Whatever about the large profit he made I think the sale price was not unreasonable for a good Baritone EC.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I placed a bid with the auctioneer who "forgot" to place my bid and it was won for a price under my bid. I was just a bit more than ticked off at the time. The auction house said they were "sorry".

OUCH! :o .... That's bound to hurt, Stephen!

(I have moved this to a new thread)

Edited by SteveS

Yes Stephen,

this is a shame, however, you ought to keep in mind that had your bid been included then Mr. Algar would have just had to pay more. I suggest that he would have bid to more than £3000 to secure this instrument and he would still make a profit on re-selling it. That is how he makes a living. Sad though this is for you, please remember that if you really need a particlar type of Concertina then Mr.Algar will find one for you.

Also I think it was a fair move by Chris Algar to sell this very rare instrument through the international forum of Ebay... gives us all a chance to aquire it at a "whatever anyone is prepared to pay" price. Whatever about the large profit he made I think the sale price was not unreasonable for a good Baritone EC.

Oh yes, I am sure he will....I am not holding anything against Mr. Algar he was very nice, and your right he would have outbidded me in the end. But this sort of an experience does make one wonder ....and I will leave it at that. No more said.

Edited by StephenTx

But this sort of an experience does make one wonder ....and I will leave it at that. No more said.

I have also suffered from the incompetence of auctioneers, though fortunately in the case where I "bought" something that turned out to be only half the size described in the catalogue, my bid was not enforced on me. I've seen irregular activities often enough, even though I am a very infrequent patron of auctioneers - though something of a student of them - and of such a nature that mostly I suspect cock-up rather than consipiracy.

In the present case, it is the seller who has suffered from the auctioneer's incompetence. I wonder if he has a case against them for compensation, or whether the auctioneer has worded his contract well enough to escape.

... I suspect cock-up rather than consipiracy.

In the present case, it is the seller who has suffered from the auctioneer's incompetence.

The aucioneers has also suffered from their own incompetence. They earn a percentage, so if the hammer price had been double their commission would also be double. It is in the auctioneers interest to sell for the highest possible price. So I'd agree that it sounds like cock-up rather than consipiracy.

... I suspect cock-up rather than consipiracy.

In the present case, it is the seller who has suffered from the auctioneer's incompetence.

The aucioneers has also suffered from their own incompetence. They earn a percentage, so if the hammer price had been double their commission would also be double. It is in the auctioneers interest to sell for the highest possible price. So I'd agree that it sounds like cock-up rather than consipiracy.

:P Having to smile to myself as "cock up" must be a Queen's English term eh! Americans would interpret it quite differently I assure you. :-)

I doubt the Queen would say that - well not officially anyway.... <_<

Edited by SteveS

:P Having to smile to myself as "cock up" must be a Queen's English term eh! Americans would interpret it quite differently I assure you. :-)

It is all completey innocent

If it was a conspiracy, the auction winner would have paid them a kick-back. It is precisely because of the implausibility of there being a conspiracy between the specific beneficiaries and the auctioneer in the cases that I have observed that makes me think cock-up.

To USAnians, this side of the pond "cock-up" only very mildly irregular English - you might not hear the newreader use it, but certainly you'd hear a government spokesman happily use it to a journalist while on camera. At this link, the popularity of the contrast "cock-up vs conspiracy" is attributed to Sir Bernard Ingham, Mrs Thatcher's press secretary, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor .

There are also things Americans should avoid saying in Britain. The term "fanny-pack" could result in an unpleasant misunderstanding in less cosmopolitan parts of the country.

Which Queen Stephen? ;)

After all, Burns used it in this wee poem, which was published back in 1791!

Johnie Lad, Cock Up Your Beaver

Mind you, when we consider what the word Beaver is a nickname for, in the U.S.A., I can't imagine folks over there being too keen to use Burns expression in public! :P

Cheers,

Dick

Which Queen Stephen? ;)

After all, Burns used it in this wee poem, which was published back in 1791!

Johnie Lad, Cock Up Your Beaver

Mind you, when we consider what the word Beaver is a nickname for, in the U.S.A., I can't imagine folks over there being too keen to use Burns expression in public! :P

Cheers,

Dick

Hi Dick

Not a big deal considering where I live: http://www.gribblenation.com/papics/keystone/beaver-kerr.jpg

I have heard this tune supposedly about the town at a history reenactment more than once or twice, although how they mixed up a hat with an indian is beyond me. Gotta love Burns:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Scotland/air/CockUpYourBeaver2_G/0000

I will admit, though, searching in Google does produce some interesting results. Who was that guy that said "....separated by a common language."

Thanks

Leo :lol:

I have heard this tune supposedly about the town at a history reenactment more than once or twice, although how they mixed up a hat with an indian is beyond me.

If we can have Indians (or "red Indians" or "native Americans") named Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull, why not King Beaver?

Might wonder how he got the name, though. Fond of wearing a European beaver hat? Large front teeth? Something else?