composer/songwriters:Is there a tina shanty to be got out of this stor

Kautilya

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan's 9.0 earthquake and tsunami last March must have been as nothing compared to the upheaval that moved Australia to the Caribbean (or vice versa)! :o :D

Jim,

I noticed that, so in my latest draught of the lyric it says "Australian" instead of "Caribbean".

Note also that Kautilya found the lass a comfortable corner in the hold, whereas Rüdiger hid her in a lifeboat. I retained this change, because (1) lifebooats are the conventional place for stowaways, and (2) "boats" rhymes so nicely with "oats". :D

Cheers,

John

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

Japan's 9.0 earthquake and tsunami last March must have been as nothing compared to the upheaval that moved Australia to the Caribbean (or vice versa)! :o :D

Jim,

I noticed that, so in my latest draught of the lyric it says "Australian" instead of "Caribbean".

Note also that Kautilya found the lass a comfortable corner in the hold, whereas Rüdiger hid her in a lifeboat. I retained this change, because (1) lifebooats are the conventional place for stowaways, and (2) "boats" rhymes so nicely with "oats". :D

Cheers,

John

Boats rock better too, as in rockabybaby.

here is the ABC courtesy of TomB, flautist and singer, and melodeon, accordeon, whistle, piano, bagpipe and of course tina player... and the same day job as Errol Flynn (Mahbub) in Kim.....the four-legged bit that is.

For those unfamiliar you copy and paste all letters below including the X:1 and down to the last two vertical symbols into the box at

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

and 'submit' to get score for dots and a sound midi in the Key of D

X: 1

T: Rwy'n Caru'r Ferch o Blwyf Penderyn

M:3/4

K: D

A2 |d4d2|c3BA2|d4d2|B2d3A|B4B2|c3BA2|c2d2e2|d4A2|

d4d2|c3BA2|d4d2|B2d3A|B4B2|c3BA2|c2d2e2|d6|

f4d2|f2a4|g4a2|f2d4|f4d2|f2a4|g4f2|e4a2|

a4dd|c3BA2|d4d2|B2d3B|B4B2|c3BA2|c2d2e2|d4||

Edited by Kautilya

Eh? I would think that should be in the key of SEA. B)

How about the SEA of Keys (if we'd give up the Australian relationship anyway)...? :P

I tried the ABC in Gee-up, Sea, and F... (for the unknowing u just put a different capital after the K (for key): in the ABC notation)and they all made me feel queSea...they also sound a bit rough.

The point about the marketing of this song is that it is meant to sell in any part of the world where there are ferries running (including Zealand) so licencees just insert their local ferry crossing :P :P We expect big sales for the Caribbean as their tourism sector is renowned for cocktails of all kinds and of course the Oz lot do the excellent Whining Limey Arrival cocktail.

It should work too on the Merzea Ferry for scousers such as myself, found as a baby in a rush, Celtic coracle floating in the Albert Dock and sold off in John St for half a crown. And when you think Crane Brothers, just down the road in Hanover St, were selling a gold button Shanty Duet for just 2 guineas (bellows not included --available for 10 shillings (collection only) from the Cranes' workshop off Scotty Rd above the Dock Rd where the Busies only patrolled in threes for their own safety.

You may not believe this location location location marketing ploy, but Shoals of Herring at the Whitby summer folk festival was started (to much appreciation)not as:

O, it was a fine and a pleasant day

Out of Yarmouth harbour I was faring

but

O, it was a fine and a pleasant day

Out of WHITBY harbour I was faring

the YarYarmouth crowd did not object. :P-

Another good market would be New York where they have the Static Island ferry, so she would not even get Seasick!

Edited by Kautilya

Eh? I would think that should be in the key of SEA. B)

How about the SEA of Keys (if we'd give up the Australian relationship anyway)...? :P

I tried the ABC in Gee-up, Sea, and F... (for the unknowing u just put a different capital after the K (for key): in the ABC notation)and they all made me feel queSea...they also sound a bit rough.

Actually just tried starting on G instead of A in the key of Sea on my 20button and it sails along swimmingly, even without a fair aeola...........

Edited by Kautilya

The point about the marketing of this song is that it is meant to sell in any part of the world where there are ferries running (including Zealand)....

For marketing success on modern Zealand (Sjælland to the natives), you're going to have to update the ABC to include a bridge. ;)

of course australia and the carribean are distinct, so what? this is not even a folk tale, it's a joke that probably exists in all languages in a bazillion variations (why didn't you complain about blue eyed sailor claiming that it's the same story set in hamurg?) carribean is more evocative, contrasts better with british isle fog and can accomodate the meter and rhyme better. it's called "artistic freedom"

Avast there, Rüdiger!

As I understood Jim, he was having a chuckle about a writer doing with a stroke of the pen what it would take a megaquake to accomplish in reality! And this is a fun project, as you say.

BTW, in my opinon, Australia is better (in this context) than the Caribbean, for several reasons. First, England-Australia is the longest ocean voyage you can get, so it contrasts most strikingly with the ferrry trip across the Solent. Second, Australia is, at least for British people, very evocative of great distance and of emigrating to start a new life (ideal for the Portsmouth girl contemplating suicide). The Caribbean, on the contrary, is where immigrants come from - nobody goes there except well-off tourists. And we are led to believe that some Australians never experience rain until they leave home and move to somewhere on the coast, which contrasts sharply with Bitish childhood experiences. Lastly, neither "Australian" nor "Caribbean" fit the metre of the lyric perfectly, but with the tune that I'm working up and will publish an mp3 of "real soon now", "Australian" fits slightly better.

All of the above is just to prove that I enjoy taking my pleasure seriously. This is a fun project, just tailor-made for a creative concertina forum like ours. Let those who will, muck in, and those who can't, express their interest. :)

My arrangement works equally well on Anglo and Crane, so tell you what: let's see if we can perform the song together at the open stage in Böblingen in January!

Cheers,

John

of course australia and the carribean are distinct, so what? this is not even a folk tale, it's a joke that probably exists in all languages in a bazillion variations (why didn't you complain about blue eyed sailor claiming that it's the same story set in hamurg?) carribean is more evocative, contrasts better with british isle fog and can accomodate the meter and rhyme better. it's called "artistic freedom"

Avast there, Rüdiger!

As I understood Jim, he was having a chuckle about a writer doing with a stroke of the pen what it would take a megaquake to accomplish in reality! And this is a fun project, as you say.

BTW, in my opinon, Australia is better (in this context) than the Caribbean, for several reasons. First, England-Australia is the longest ocean voyage you can get, so it contrasts most strikingly with the ferrry trip across the Solent. Second, Australia is, at least for British people, very evocative of great distance and of emigrating to start a new life (ideal for the Portsmouth girl contemplating suicide). The Caribbean, on the contrary, is where immigrants come from - nobody goes there except well-off tourists. And we are led to believe that some Australians never experience rain until they leave home and move to somewhere on the coast, which contrasts sharply with Bitish childhood experiences. Lastly, neither "Australian" nor "Caribbean" fit the metre of the lyric perfectly, but with the tune that I'm working up and will publish an mp3 of "real soon now", "Australian" fits slightly better.

All of the above is just to prove that I enjoy taking my pleasure seriously. This is a fun project, just tailor-made for a creative concertina forum like ours. Let those who will, muck in, and those who can't, express their interest. :)

My arrangement works equally well on Anglo and Crane, so tell you what: let's see if we can perform the song together at the open stage in Böblingen in January!

Cheers,

John

yes it's that cold Ham=let winter wind across the straits, in the dark nights where a Lucas torch cannot show the way, getting at his bones again....take a slug of Gammel Dansk Jim, sit back and watch the boat ride!

now more seriously to busines and Böblingen (dangerously near another word in Sanskrit appropriate to oats and not to be repeated here.... :ph34r: )

The inspiratorcreatormanagment agrees to you two getting up to tricks at Böblingen. BUT only if you make sure you video/have someone video the performance and post the link here: and one assumes you will be in appropriate dress with one of you singing the Jolly John Ro(d)ger verses and the other the damsel's lines! Might I suggest you pull in a player of the Devil on a Hardanger fiddle who can do the Capn's lines as well?

ps:Costume costs are not deductible items:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW I think an in-boat demonstration may be a little difficult in terms of space and do I see the pastor (with binoculars) in the bell tower? I believe he transferred from Hardangerfjord parish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boeblingen_oberer-see_stadtkirche.jpg

The Devil is here and the church ban

http://www.sylviahallett.co.uk/hardanger.htm

http://www.sylviahallett.co.uk/audio/hardangerfiddle.swf

Edited by Kautilya

As I understood Jim, he was having a chuckle about a writer doing with a stroke of the pen what it would take a megaquake to accomplish in reality!

Aye, mates, that was my intent. And I tried to emphasize my humorous intent with a response to Ruediger so absurd that I didn't think it could possibly be taken seriously. Still, misunderstandings can happen. My thanks to John for his help in clearing the air.

In fact, I think you guys have done a brilliant job! While I was just contemplating giving it a try, you produced a result far better than anything I could imagine. Well done! :)

...one assumes you will be in appropriate dress with one of you singing the Jolly John Ro(d)ger verses and the other the damsel's lines! Might I suggest you pull in a player of the Devil on a Hardanger fiddle who can do the Capn's lines as well?

Kautilya, I fear you've become confused about the traits of the different characters. It's the damsel who is the hardingfiddler (www.hardingfiddler.com). And Martine is neither captain nor Devil, but a real angel. :)

...one assumes you will be in appropriate dress with one of you singing the Jolly John Ro(d)ger verses and the other the damsel's lines! Might I suggest you pull in a player of the Devil on a Hardanger fiddle who can do the Capn's lines as well?

Kautilya, I fear you've become confused about the traits of the different characters. It's the damsel who is the hardingfiddler (www.hardingfiddler.com). And Martine is neither captain nor Devil, but a real angel. :)

Her music's pretty good too Jim.

http://www.hardingfiddler.com/www.hardingfiddler.com/Media.html

and we had a Hardinger (made it himself)fiddler at the Lpool stealthfolk assembly last year..

start at 3.30 with the tina player, then Hardanger (the Devil was playing with tuning) and watch out for Tinaman's temporary Moll with a machine-nug in her violin case.

So you want to accentuate the first syllable then, right?

Following this path may I suggest the replacement of "palms" with "warmth"? The first expression doesn't mean that much regarding Australia, I guess, where as the latter carries some fine affection (both physically and socially) with itself... :)

well then - my sincere apologies to Jim for overracting (on my side, of course) and my compliments to John for being the moderator and mediator.

Böblingen it is, then, and we'll see to a recording. I'll hopefully have access to a reasonable keyboard tomorrow (this is a smartphone), so then I'll weave the input into something workable unless someone else has already done so.

I'd also encourage other folks to perform and record the final piece to underline the international nature of the project!

So you want to accentuate the first syllable then, right?

Yepp!

Following this path may I suggest the replacement of "palms" with "warmth"? The first expression doesn't mean that much regarding Australia, I guess, where as the latter carries some fine affection (both physically and socially) with itself... :)

Roger and wil(probably)co!

Cheers,

John