Lachenal 46 key McCann Duet for sale

Pakprint

My Lachenal 46 key McCann duet concertina is up for sale on Ebay.

It has bone buttons, metal ends and 6 fold bellows. I'm no expert but it seems to have steel reeds (i.e. they aren't the right colour for brass!). I bought it in 1994 and it had just been reconditioned by Hobgoblin (I can see new pads) and to be honest it has hardly been out of its box since.

All the notes sound OK and are at concert pitch.

The bellows are in good condition, and theres just a bit of scuffing to the leather on the ends (needs a bit of black shoe-polish). It has the original box, but the box lid has fallen to pieces at some stage and someone has handstitched a rather naff new lid and carry handle out of light tan leather (but it has kept the dust etc out OK)

Ebay link is here

So Algar got £821 for his, having put a start bid of £600 on it, and yours didn't get a single bid from its £600 start bid. That was frankly was roughly my guess as to what would happen, but I didn't wish to prejudice your auction by saying so in advance. He got a first bid at his starting bid level very early, which always helps give confidence to other bidders. Clearly Algar's, newly restored, with metal buttons, and a good reputation for the quality of his restorations, was a bit more marketable than yours, even if the underlying concertina as originally built was probably not much different in quality. Which boils down to saying I think you misjudged the starting bid level on yours. Algar would have made a loss at £600, and is hardly rolling in large profits at £821, but he knows that you do have to leave enough space below a final achieved price for an auction to develop.

Hi, I'm interested in your concertina. If you could email to me at oldhuffalump@frontier.com, we might correspond about this.

Roberta

My Lachenal 46 key McCann duet concertina is up for sale on Ebay.

It has bone buttons, metal ends and 6 fold bellows. I'm no expert but it seems to have steel reeds (i.e. they aren't the right colour for brass!). I bought it in 1994 and it had just been reconditioned by Hobgoblin (I can see new pads) and to be honest it has hardly been out of its box since.

All the notes sound OK and are at concert pitch.

The bellows are in good condition, and theres just a bit of scuffing to the leather on the ends (needs a bit of black shoe-polish). It has the original box, but the box lid has fallen to pieces at some stage and someone has handstitched a rather naff new lid and carry handle out of light tan leather (but it has kept the dust etc out OK)

Ebay link is here

Thanks for all your interest. Never having put anything on Ebay before, I have been deluged with advice from friends and relatives of what I did wrong etc etc. Just FYI I shall be putting it on Ebay again, and will re-post here when I have done so.

Thanks for all your interest. Never having put anything on Ebay before, I have been deluged with advice from friends and relatives of what I did wrong etc etc. Just FYI I shall be putting it on Ebay again, and will re-post here when I have done so.

I don't think you did anything wrong!

Mccann players are thin on the ground, maybe only one preson is in the market to buy at present and they got the other one! You should be patient, it may take some time to find the right buyer for your concertina.

Mccann players are thin on the ground, maybe only one preson is in the market to buy at present and they got the other one! You should be patient, it may take some time to find the right buyer for your concertina.

At least four distinct bidders bid on Algar's concertina. At least three of them bid at or above £730. None of them put a bid on OP's rather similar concertina.

Let's see what happens this time!

It sold for £500. Hope you aren't too disappointed, but the acid test is what the market pays for it, though there is a random element to this, it must be said.

Now it is sold I will make the comment that when you report that there was a refurb 17 years ago, and not played much since, people will think, without having it in their hands to check out, "well it may need some re-work to get it back in tip-top condition".