Anglo Instruction In London Uk?

Guest Ava

Hi there -

I will be living in London for the next year, studying, and I would like to continue with lessons on the anglo concertina. Does anyone know of any instructors in/near the WC1 or W13 postcodes?

Hallo Ava,

I do not give lessons but if you can make our session at the George Inn

1st Monday in every month unless it is a Bank Holiday and then it is a week later.

I may be able to help.It is South of The Thames a short walk down the High Street from London Bridge.The best way to get there is by tube.Hope to see you.You will recognise me as I shall be playing a concertina!

Al

Thanks Alan, I will try to come, and I will definitely be in touch later about this. I won't be arriving in London until late September. What is the nearest tube stop?

Hi Alan,

Just wondering where this is - it's not the pub near the Globe theatre is it? The pub where pilgrims set off from London to Cantebury?

Anyway that aside I'm interested in coming myself so would like to know which street it is, and what time it starts.

thanks,

Peter

It is in Borough High Street ,Peter it is a very old pub and forms part of the guide of old pubs for tourists in London.We normally get at least one load of tourists usually two during the session."Excuse me do you know Amazing grace", twice.

If you click on my site there is a link to The George on there.

Next session August will be quiet owing to most away at folky things,but I will be there, so the more the merrier.Starts about 8.30 ish

Al

Was it you Jim that found her ?

If you mean the woman who calls herself "Amazing Grace" ;), I believe she was already married when we first met, so I can hardly be the one who found her first.

If so take her back to where she was!!

As for the song, it's beautiful hymn, which I learned from Jean Ritchie. I believe she learned to sing it as a child in her church in Kentucky. It's her singing that made it popular, long before I ever heard a pipe band murder it. :ph34r:

There are those now who claim iit's an old Scottish hymn, which it may well be, as I believe there's a lot of Scottish ancestry in the Appalachians, but my understanding is that the Socts had completely forgotten about it until Jean (re)introduced the song to the world.

Anyway, it's not the song you should send back -- it's a beautiful song, -- but the "singers" and crowds who have harmed its reputation by the way they mass-murder it. (In this case, it's murder by the masses, not of the masses.) And it's hardly alone in that respect. "Danny Boy", e.g., becomes a completely different song if done as straight-up song, rather than a schmaltz-encrusted attempt at opera.

Avoid "Amazing Grace" (the song) for the nonce, if you wish, but if I ever make it to one of your sessions, I hope you'll let me sing it the way I first learned it, complete with "lining out". Or if I can get someone else to sing the melody, I'll do a tenor harmony. With just two voices, I think you just might like it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger, that would be great! I'll contact you sometime this Autumn (though I'll try to get you my email address before then). Thanks very much!