My new Lachneal Edeophone Metal Ended Serial 48055

I acquired an Lachenal Edeophone right here on CNET and received him yesterday serial 48055.. I started with my first concertina in July a Solomon & Company Lachenal Brass Reed English followed by a vintage Wheatstone silver reeded that is currently with Greg Jowaisas and having her facelift as I call it; Greg also restored the first concerting. BTW Greg does one heck of a job! I am set now with my concertinas!

I am into all types of music but primarily into Classical and American contemporary and Musicals...anyhow all that is for general interest. I am taking lessons via Skype from Pauline de Snoo in Holland and I am located in Texas...it has been a wonderful experience. Pauline is an advocate of a neck cord for balance of the instrument (I know that debate could go on and on but never-the-less; it is what I am learning on too and really like it).

ISSUE: On my other two concertinas I am able to affix the cord under the finger strap screw. The Edeophone does not have finger strap screws as I am certain you are all aware of. My question then is how to affix the neck cord..is there another option besides drilling a hole? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Leo's illustration is what I imagined when Stephen said that most of his concertinas could have their cord anchored under the thumb-strap screw. This question is also of interest to me, as my Wheatstone does not seem to have thumb-strap screws either.

Your Edeophone has metal ends, so I would think you could weave something in between the grillwork.

You would want to spread the load over several holes so you don't risk distorting the metal, but some heavy string (maybe a shoelace?) weaved in and out across half a dozen or so openings should give you something to hook the cord on to.

Leo and all I am using the illustration you sent on my other concertina ...bought from Concertina.com. But the Edeo does not have screws for the thumb straps. Thank you though for the suggestion. Whatever is done has to be in a similar position as the illustration to maintain the correct balance. Something originating from the sides would not (unfortunately) work such as the grill.

Hi

I use 2 light weight luggage straps wrapped around the circumference of the ends of the concertina and attach the neck strap to these straps. This causes no damage to the concertina.

If you have trouble understanding my description - let me know and I'll try and take some pics

chris

Hi

I use 2 light weight luggage straps wrapped around the circumference of the ends of the concertina and attach the neck strap to these straps. This causes no damage to the concertina.

If you have trouble understanding my description - let me know and I'll try and take some pics

chris

Chris, Interesting and I would enjoy pictures. The way I am visualizing what you are doing I wonder how you keep the straps from slipping and damaging the bellows? Of course I am visualizing of a bounge type sort of strap. Looking forwarding to hearing more and thank you for responding. Stephen