Aeola McCann for sale on eBay

SteveS

It will be interesting to see how much this goes for.

It would have been, but the auction has been pulled.

Hmmm... I wonder if someone pressed the 'Buy it now' button ? Would it show up then on the completed listings as being sold ... or was it a scam... or did the vendor get cold feet about selling ?

Hmmm... I wonder if someone pressed the 'Buy it now' button ? Would it show up then on the completed listings as being sold ... or was it a scam... or did the vendor get cold feet about selling ?

All wrong. I'll tell you later; I don't want to tempt fate.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Here's the story. I used to own this instrument. A few years ago Mike Acott got in an edeophone that was a bit unusual that he thought would do for me and eventually I did a straight swap, his edeo for this aeola. I have never settled to the edeo so when this aeola came up on ebay I not only recognised it but knew it was Sylvia Needham who was selling it. (Mike had told me who'd taken it on and Sylvia and I met at Brightlingsea earlier in the year anyway)

'Nothing ventured, nothing gain' I thought and emailed her telling her the story and asked that we reverse the deal; I suggested a smaller edeo with the same range might suit her well and I think the Lach' sound is good for trad stuff too (and not so nice for classical at that).

Sylvia had known of the instrument as it was sitting at Mike's with my name on it and fancied the idea, and I think I scored a slight sympathy vote too (not sure I deserve it, but there...) I said I'd send the edeo to Mike for her approval, no obligation. Sylvia, in turn, was interested enough to pull the auction. (If she hadn't had it I thought that, as I wasn't using it properly, I might as well trade another instrument that suited me better and that meant getting it to England anyway.)

The 68 is particularly sensitive and I would pick it up if I really wanted to milk the emotions. If it was a 72 it would be perfect but it's tone and touch leave my usual instrument standing. I won't get an edeo again I think.

Anyway, hence the secrecy. I COULD have given a glowing testimonial for the instrument but I was negotiating to re-acquire it so I kept stum!

And the gracious Sylvia has agreed to the deal and left with the edeo, depositing my 68 with Mike A for me to collect next year.

Hoorah!

Dirge, a question for you;

do you think the extra "Pathos' facility of this 67key is due to the smaller size which is allowing a quicker response to subtle changes in dynamics or just some lucky tonal quality of this particular instrument ?

I think it's just a really top notch instrument; don't think the size matters. It speaks cleanly played at a whisper and has a lovely tone.

As to why, then it gets a bit conjectural. The 68 is a std brass shoes model; my 71 is a lightweight special and has alloy everywhere. I have an idea it weighs less than the 68 but can't be sure, but I am very used to it and do not think of it as cumbersome, ever. I think the alloy somehow makes it less stable, you can't trust the reeds to speak reliably when playing very quietly so you don't dare go quite so low in the first place, and I feel it has a slightly more leaden tone than the 68. Only slightly, but it all comes into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Here's the story. I used to own this instrument. A few years ago Mike Acott got in an edeophone that was a bit unusual that he thought would do for me and eventually I did a straight swap, his edeo for this aeola. I have never settled to the edeo so when this aeola came up on ebay I not only recognised it but knew it was Sylvia Needham who was selling it. (Mike had told me who'd taken it on and Sylvia and I met at Brightlingsea earlier in the year anyway)

'Nothing ventured, nothing gain' I thought and emailed her telling her the story and asked that we reverse the deal; I suggested a smaller edeo with the same range might suit her well and I think the Lach' sound is good for trad stuff too (and not so nice for classical at that).

Sylvia had known of the instrument as it was sitting at Mike's with my name on it and fancied the idea, and I think I scored a slight sympathy vote too (not sure I deserve it, but there...) I said I'd send the edeo to Mike for her approval, no obligation. Sylvia, in turn, was interested enough to pull the auction. (If she hadn't had it I thought that, as I wasn't using it properly, I might as well trade another instrument that suited me better and that meant getting it to England anyway.)

The 68 is particularly sensitive and I would pick it up if I really wanted to milk the emotions. If it was a 72 it would be perfect but it's tone and touch leave my usual instrument standing. I won't get an edeo again I think.

Anyway, hence the secrecy. I COULD have given a glowing testimonial for the instrument but I was negotiating to re-acquire it so I kept stum!

And the gracious Sylvia has agreed to the deal and left with the edeo, depositing my 68 with Mike A for me to collect next year.

Hoorah!

Ain't that the truth...Amen....:-)Hi Dave, as it happens, Sylvia loves the Edeophone and is getting on like a house on fire with it. See you at Brightlingsea next year? Cheers Keith

Ain't that the truth...Amen....:-)Hi Dave, as it happens, Sylvia loves the Edeophone and is getting on like a house on fire with it. See you at Brightlingsea next year? Cheers Keith

Wotcher Keith; that's brilliant news. I'm really glad. And if she likes it now, well I think it needed playing and will continue to get better as she uses it for some time, I'm sure.

As for Brightlingsea, I enjoyed myself enormously; if it fits in the calender and they'll put up with me again, yes.

And Rod; more than just 'quite' pleased on both sides it would seem. An excellent result.

Actually, now I think about it I probably won't be at Brightlingsea; I'm assuming air tickets will be a lot cheaper AFTER the olympics, (and I'm very happy to avoid the whole circus too)

I'll have to find something else to do later on.

Edited by Dirge