Ideal concertina?

LDT

If money was no object...what would be your ideal/dream concertina?

A wide variety.

Though I would still love to come across one of the fabled 84-button Englishes, to see if I might find it manageable.

(I've heard of two, and have even seen a photo of the one, but I've so far been unable to locate either.)

the one i have. 30 button black carroll concertina with wheatstone end pattern. the only thing i don't like about it is that there aren't enough hours in a day to play as much as i want!

My teacher plays a carroll concertina. With that much cash laying around I would choose that as well. I would pick a natural wood finish with art deco end patterns though...

Money no object.... how about renting a time machine and going back to the golden age of Concertina making so as to order a brand new one from Wheatstone, Jeffries or Lachenal ?

Really I would try to buy the Baritone /Treble Aeola that is being restored by Stephen S or the one for sale by Dave Robertson.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I finally managed to create my dream-box: a few years ago I bought a fairly late piccolo-sized ( 5 1/2" ) treble Aeola. It had a lousy action and cheap metal ends... Recently I managed to exchange the ends with those of my ebony-ended piccolo ( 24xxx ). Now I have an ebony-ended piccolo-sized treble with great looks, amazing action and an incredible sound. I just love this little one!! Anybody ever seen one like it? I know that Bob from NY has a another metal-ended piccolo-treble... Any offers?

PS: Don't worry - I can change them back in five minutes ;-)

Edited by conzertino

And by the way - my other dream-box is a baritone-treble, which I converted to F. Now I can play the box with normal fingering ( just one row down - I moved the finger-rest! ) just like a tenor-treble, but it will sound a fifth down - which is a phantastic range to play in! I can't get enough of that one ;-)

Any experiences with F-boxes? I have an old Lachenal-tenor, which came in F ( played like a treble ).

Here for interest sake a recording, which I made to demonstate a TT for sale, which I had converted to F.

And by the way - my other dream-box is a baritone-treble, which I converted to F. Now I can play the box with normal fingering ( just one row down - I moved the finger-rest! ) just like a tenor-treble, but it will sound a fifth down - which is a phantastic range to play in! I can't get enough of that one ;-)

Any experiences with F-boxes? I have an old Lachenal-tenor, which came in F ( played like a treble ).

Here for interest sake a recording, which I made to demonstate a TT for sale, which I had converted to F.

Very nice video!!

Are you the Robert (or Robbie) that my wife has been telling me about for the last 20 years ? She always speaks of a fine player of the EC that she used to meet at musical weekends when she lived in Germany.

I agree that the Baritone/Treble is great for transposing down a fifth... I used to use a T/Treble for playing Irish music in C and F with my friend Peter Laban and his C/F Uilleann pipes by dropping an octave and using virtually the same fingering as if playing in D/G but the Baritone/Treble does it even better.

Best regards,

Geoff.

I'd like a Dipper anglo concertina with metal ends...in D/G.

I'd never get to own one in a million years...but hey I can dream. ;)

I've said this before, but it's not so bad. Put your order in now, Colin & Rosalie will ask for a deposit, something like £250 or of that order. Then you go back to dreaming.

Suddenly, our of the blue a few years later you'll get a phone call or letter from Colin and hey presto! you're one of the great winners in the lottery of life. You'll have saved the money by then (or if not, I'm sure there's a relative you wouldn't mind selling into slavery) and you'll own your dream concertina. But you have to start by putting that order in ...

I have two concertinas that between them qualify in the shape of my Jeffries G/D and my Dipper C/G baritone (I put an order in and one day I won the lottery of life). But I do sometimes hanker after a bass anglo, i.e. an octave below the normal G/D.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

I'd like a Dipper anglo concertina with metal ends...in D/G.

I'd never get to own one in a million years...but hey I can dream. ;)

I've said this before, but it's not so bad. Put your order in now, Colin & Rosalie will ask for a deposit, something like £250 or of that order. Then you go back to dreaming.

Suddenly, our of the blue a few years later you'll get a phone call or letter from Colin and hey presto! you're one of the great winners in the lottery of life. You'll have saved the money by then (or if not, I'm sure there's a relative you wouldn't mind selling into slavery) and you'll own your dream concertina. But you have to start by putting that order in ...

Unless a relative wins the lottery and buys it for me as a present...I may order it but I'll never have the money to buy it.

How much dos a kidney fetch these days? ;)

I have two concertinas that between them qualify in the shape of my Jeffries G/D and my Dipper C/G baritone (I put an order in and one day I won the lottery of life). But I do sometimes hanker after a bass anglo, i.e. an octave below the normal G/D.

Were they the ones you had at ECMW?

<BR>Well,<BR>My wooden ended 38 C/F Dipper, and 38 G/D Jeffries, will soon be available at The Button Box, after thorough renovations.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Geo<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>I got a notice about it today from the Button Box, and had an online gander at the Shantyman. What a beauty. I couldn't bear to part with it if it were mine. Edited by Bill N

Well,

My wooden ended 38 C/F Dipper, and 38 G/D Jeffries, will soon be available at The Button Box, after thorough renovations.

Cheers,

Geo

I played the Dipper; what a totally amazing concertina, with a deep, resonant sound like a pipe organ. Wish I could use n F/C!