SOLD - Lachenal Edeophone concertina for sale

Heidi

Greetings, (This is my first posting so any advice I receive regarding postings will be appreciated.) I have a Lachenal Edeophone English concertina for sale. It has 48 keys (lowest note is a G) 6 bellow folds, is tuned to concert pitch, and has raised metal ends. (see photo below)

I bought this instrument is the early 1980s just after it was extensively refurbished by Colin Dipper. (His work stamp can be seen when metal ends are removed.) I have played this concertina for years but have moved on to other instruments and am now ready to sell.

This instrument is in excellent shape and has a full gorgeous sound and quick response when played. Its serial # is 48055, which I think indicates it was built around 1912.(?)

The concertina comes with a sturdy beautiful case that was handcrafted in 1985 especially for this instrument. (see photo in posting: couldn't figure out how to post 2 photos in one posting)

I am asking $3400.00 (US) for this instrument. This price is negotiable. Please contact me at heidim@olypen.com, or (360) 385-0695 if you are seriously interesting in buying.

A donation will be made to this website at the time of sale. Thanks in advance for your interest.

Heidi Mattern

post-9577-0-05899500-1318013995_thumb.jpg

I am so excited as I am buying this Edeophone. I have been somewhat surprised that there has not been a great deal os discussion as there typically is when an instrument goes up for sale. I have a vet BIG operatic voice and I am really looking forward to owning her. So now that the decision has been made, I am very interested in what you all might have to say as what to expect with this Lahneal Edeophone.

I am so excited as I am buying this Edeophone. I have been somewhat surprised that there has not been a great deal os discussion as there typically is when an instrument goes up for sale. I have a vet BIG operatic voice and I am really looking forward to owning her. So now that the decision has been made, I am very interested in what you all might have to say as what to expect with this Lahneal Edeophone.

Lucky you, I wish I'd been closer, I might have gone for it myself.

I friend of mine has a very close match to this one, and I occasionally see someone with the ebony ended version at one of our local sessions. The metal ended one can certainly cut through the din at our teaching sessions,

but can be played at a more modest level too :D. I think that some of it's "audibilty" comes from it's distinctive tone. Somehow these edeophones (even the wooden ended one) seem to have a noticeably different sound - and I play in a session which may have as many as 3 or 4 regular EC players, plus a very loud anglo.

Chris

Welcome as a member of the Edeophone English club, Stephen. It appears to be a nice instrument, judging by the photo of it. I play a similar one with metal ends made circa 1922. It looks like you paid a very fair price for it too, as Barleycorn recently sold a 48 key wooden-ended Edeophone English treble at the Whitby Folk Festival in August, for £2900 or $4500, I believe. They are nice instruments to play but can roll off tables rather easily, so watch out! Let us know how you get on with it.

Chris

Welcome as a member of the Edeophone English club, Stephen. It appears to be a nice instrument, judging by the photo of it. I play a similar one with metal ends made circa 1922. It looks like you paid a very fair price for it too, as Barleycorn recently sold a 48 key wooden-ended Edeophone English treble at the Whitby Folk Festival in August, for £2900 or $4500, I believe. They are nice instruments to play but can roll off tables rather easily, so watch out! Let us know how you get on with it.

Chris

When I saw you note about Palestine...I thought. "Oh yeah I am going all the way to Palestine from Texas...then I remembered your telling me about a get together in Palestine Te@as that is near me. Sounds great and I will bring her. Where can I get more informatiion about this dates. Activities etc? Thank you

While we're talking about Edeophone, I'd appreciate advice on how to pronounce the name. Even a friend who owns one isn't sure. Is the "E" long? I presume it's three syllables, but where is the accent(s)? It's a word of seen written often, but never heard pronounced!

While we're talking about Edeophone, I'd appreciate advice on how to pronounce the name. Even a friend who owns one isn't sure. Is the "E" long? I presume it's three syllables, but where is the accent(s)? It's a word of seen written often, but never heard pronounced!

When I bought my first Concertina, from Harry Crabb, it was an Edeophone and Harry pronounced it with a long E. The simple way to remember this is... when you let it roll off the table (due to its almost round shape) you shout 'EEEE- DEEE-YOTTT' to yourself! ;)

Edited by Geoff Wooff

GEORGE. Clever...now is that with the American pronunciation or the Queens English :-/

Do you still have one Geoff? I would interested in your experiences pro and con..was your a Lachneal metal ended etc?

No I do not have the Edeophone anymore... I traded it back to Harry Crabb in 1974 against a Wheatstone Tennor Treble Aeola

which served me for the following ten years.. and I have played Wheatstones ever since. The Edeophone was a wooden ended 48 treble and although it was a nice instrument the button action was noisy and stiff. I did have one other Edeophone that I bought from a member of this forum in 1975 which was a 63key Piccolo/ treble. This one had the Rivetted type key action of the Wheatstones and was a very beautifull instrument, again with wooden ends, but it was designed to have the tone of a Flute/Piccolo (most likely for playing in a Concertina Band) and a fine sound it did have but I was into playing Dance music and wanted a big loud sound which I was getting from my Wheatstone... so I passed it on to someone else.

I feel that the rivetted action combined with the Wheatstone's metal covered wooden buttons makes for a much superior keyboard which is a vital part of an English Concertina. The fact that, at times, one might need to hit a button at an angle of more than 45° to the vertical, especially on the larger 56 and 64key versions, due to a hand position that needs to stay in place so that other keys can be actuated at the same moment, requires of the EC keyboard a very light but positive touch. This is helped by the light weight buttons and the firmly pivoted levers. I feel also that the wooden button is not so hard on the finger tips.. and I am no Softy, my hands work hard for me every day.

One of the things I spend the most time on is setting up my EC keyboard and every one that I've owned has needed adjustments of button height,spring weight and Bushing fit.

Wim Wakker offers a replacement rivetted action for any concertina and he especially likes the Edeophones......

I do not recall ever playing a metal ended Edeophone, although I probably did because I used to repair and tune, and buy and sell Concertinas and have had many through my hands over the years.

The last time I played an Edeophone was a couple of summers back, at an Irish music festival here in France.. again this was wooden ended and although a nice instrument it displayed many of the charateristics that made me change to a Wheatstone all those years ago... maybe I have just gotten used to the Wheatstone Action and sound... there are others who swear by the Edeophone... maybe I just was unlucky.... Yours looks to be a great instrument... They have a somewhat different sound and I would be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

Please do not think me too negative about Edeophones... it is a bit like Guitars... some like a Gibson and others a Martin.

Edited by Geoff Wooff