For Sale: MacCann Duet 46key lachenal £800

ianstephenson

Hiya,

Apologies for this being my first post. I've been mucking about on the MacCann duet for years, after my parents picked up a 46key wheatstone years ago.

In 2008 I bought this 46 key Lachenal from Barleycorn concertinas at Whitby folk week.

Recently I've just not been playing it, I'm sure I'll pick it up again later in life as soon as I'm flush!

In the mean time I've got a whole house full of other instruments (including 4 harmoniums!)

It's a 46 key MacCann duet, metal buttons, wooden ends. Steel reeds and 6 fold bellows.

When I bought it in 2008 it had already been reconditioned, new pads and bushes I can see, not sure if it has had new valves or not.

The bellows are in good condition, and the best looking part of it is the fretwork on the ends, no badly sunk screws or anything like you often see.

I'd like to get £800 for it, it's a super little box.

Buyer will pay postage costs, I can get an estimate before sending.

It also comes with a modern hard case and it's original (but tatty) leather case.

Here's a sample of me playing a tune on it that I recorded today.

sound sample hornpipe

I'll try to attach a photo too. more coming soon!

post-9598-0-61023000-1317926443_thumb.jpg

Ian

More info I just thought of:

It's tuned A=440 concert pitch.

Since I bought it, Theo Gibb has fixed a sticky button where the bush on that key was rubbing, sorted now!

Also, Theo tuned a few notes on it too, there were a few that needed edging in. It's in tune now.

Message me on the forum if you are interested or reply on here if you have any more questions,

Perhaps you can add one more to the "who play's maccann" list now, I've been secretly playing a bit for yonks...

nice lil' hornpipe you play..., enjoyed it! :)

(sure you don't wanna keep up with it?)

Seems a shame to me too; you're clearly comfortable with it. Why not sell something else. The wife?

Nice sounding beast and from the response the valves probably aren't that old.

nice lil' hornpipe you play..., enjoyed it! :)

That's Proudlock's Hornpipe.

X: 1

T:Proudlock's Hornpipe

R:hornpipe

Z:id:hn-hornpipe-82

M:C|

K:G

(3DEF|GFGB AGAB|G2gf gedc|(3Bcd BG (3ABc AF|GFGA GFED|

GFGB AGAB|G2gf gedc|(3Bcd BG (3ABc AF|G2GF G2:|

|:Bc|dedc BGAB|cdcB A2Bc|dedc B2g2|agfe dcBA|

GFGB AGAB|G2gf gedc|(3Bcd BG (3ABc AF|G2GF G2:|

Perhaps you can add one more to the "who play's maccann" list now, I've been secretly playing a bit for yonks...

Just spotted this Ian. I'll add you to my spreadsheet list. Where do you hail from (for purposes of identifying country ... don't suppose it's Outer Mongolia or anywhere exotic ??)

The list currently stands at 77 known names (or pseudonyms where appropriate) by the way.

Edited by Irene S

Just spotted this Ian. I'll add you to my spreadsheet list. Where do you hail from (for purposes of identifying country ... don't suppose it's Outer Mongolia or anywhere exotic ??)

The list currently stands at 77 known names (or pseudonyms where appropriate) by the way.

an I just spotted my apostrophe fraud! Aaargh!

I'm from North Yorkshire, but I've been living near Newcastle for the last ten years.

My dad Chris Stephenson (in North Yorks) plays MacCann too, and if I get the urge to play again after I've sold mine, he might let me borrow his 46key Wheatstone edeophone :)

he might let me borrow his 46key Wheatstone edeophone :)

hardly, as an edeophone would be built by Lachenal, whereas your father's Wheatstone may rather answer to the name "Aeola"... ;)

P.S.: Thanks for the name and ABC, tallship!

Blue-eyed Sailor is probably correct but, "Never say never":

Read more here:

http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone-edeophone/index.htm

Greg

Blue-eyed Sailor is probably correct but, "Never say never":

That's quite surprising news...

but being an open-minded person I already had replaced "never" with "hardly" in advance... B)

Okay, you're right. Whatever. We bow down to your superior brain!

Now about this concertina I'm trying to sell...

no interest at all?

Have I priced it too highly do you think? I don't know much about the prices of used duets, I suspect it varies. but this is a NICE one!

Should I eBay it?

Musical instruments are a highly optional purchase, and the market is currently rather weak in the current economic circumstances. Some rather big bargains have been obtained at auction recently.

Concertinas aren't a commodity, 100 can come along and barely two the same. In such cases, the price you can get depends upon your ability to communicate with the market for that concertina, and the level of confidence you can give your purchasers as to the quality of the item being sold. I can imagine that you might have paid a price not unadjacent to the £800 you quote for this from Mr Barleycorn. He's a top dealer with a reputation for selling top quality items, and a prominence in the market that implies a level of marketing few others can achieve. He also holds a large stock and waits for the customer to come along and buy it. He makes a living from it and needs to take a profit, so he has made a turn on what he was able to buy it for (and he regularly buys on ebay) and the cost of restoration. So if a dealer can buy on ebay, fix it up (sometimes not even), and turn it back to the market, you have learned something about ebay prices and dealer prices. Of course, sometimes ebay prices are higher than the dealers will pay, they need their turn.

Looking back at ebay prices before the recent financial crash, when I was keeping an eye on them, then we can say that apart from the rare Aeola which can make over £1000, 46-key Maccanns very rarely go for above £700 on Ebay - maybe a top condition Wheatstone metal-ended one might have gone for a little more once in a while. Good condition Lachenal wooden ended ones have rarely made much more than about £600, and have, on occasion, gone for a lot less. The difficulty of selling any Maccann on ebay is that quite often the rather small market for them just isn't looking that week. Quite often even a top condition 62-key with a very realistic reserve will completely fail to sell.